Re: Stuck in Login - Log-off Loop --- How to install external HD from DOS??

<RuprictVA@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1174677398.149514.174470@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My computer is stuck in the log on -log off loop and I can not get it
to work after following all the fixes I could find. I am now just
going to back up to external hard drive and reinstall XP-home. My
question is:

Is it easy to install an external hard drive from DOS, and what are
the commands to perform a full copy of the first hard drive to the
second?

External, as in USB? DOS has no native support for USB (nor NTFS). This
free utility may do what you want, but you may need a USB -> IDE adapter.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

Another option:
BootitNG (cancel the install and use maintenanace mode to copy partitions
to another drive. Supports USB2.0)
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Trueimage is another. (not free)
http://www.acronis.com/

There are other means, some of which involve opening the case.

  • Re: how beta ix 11.1?
    ... I have one pc for dos. ... But it cant run my Pantech USB modem. ... or just do not set up a user account other than root on your SuSE ... If Mozilla/tbird came out with a version that would install the java & ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Install XPe from a Thumb Drive?
    ... installing this on do not support booting from a USB device, ... > We can install XPe OS from USB flash drive. ... We use XPe for this, but DOS works, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Boot computer with USB-key and install XPE??
    ... You can install and boot dos from USB disks. ... There are even third party utilities that format and image USB disks with DOS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Problems with Touchpad,keyboard and USB after Ideacom update (solu
    ... and keyboard .I have made fresh install of XP Home and have all updated ... recomended update from Driver detective,that i use offten. ... allready and when i do this it knocks off my USB mouse leaving me not able to ... 2.Mutil-Access driver HCT driver verify crash fix! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Installing Fedora without a CDROM: my HOWTO
    ... Here is my HOWTO on installing Linux from a USB drive, ... disk or USB key rather than a CDROM boot disk. ... Put auxillary files (special drivers, post setup install config, ... This way I can mount any number of hard drives in the ...
    (Fedora)