HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey

My wife has a Dell Dim 4700 and the SK-8135 keyboard. I wanted to
program the extra keys on the keyboard. Seems I needed DellTouch. Could
not find it anywhere on Dell's website. Chatted with a rep, who gave me
the entirely wrong link and drivers. Found Netropa.com, downloaded the
seemingly correct files, installed, and wound up with an empty
key-programming window. Drat!

Found http://blog.mennos.org/nucleus3.2/index.php?blogid=1&catid=5
where there were instructions on how to do this manually in the
registry. I have tried, but have had no success. Can someone help me!?

The subkeys of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Ap
pKey in my wife's Windows XP Home are 15, 16, 17, 18, and 7, and they
seem to correspond to the keys I want to program. I tried to put in
the new string value (correct terminology?) "ShellExecute" for all of
them and the value (for instance) "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\Winword.com". No cigar!

The programs I want to run with the extra keys are all of the format
"C:\Program Files ...\xxx.exe".

Looking forward to some pointers.

Hans L