Re: How do I install SATA disk with XP installed on a new motherboard.

You need to do at least a 'repair install' when using a new motherboard.
Google for instructions

<turkishjim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Grateful for any help you experts can offer. I've searched this and
> other groups for a previous thread but couldn't find one (probably cos
> I used the wrong terminology in my search).
> Anyway, I needed more hard drive space so bought a new 300 gig Maxtor
> SATA drive to go with my existing 160 gig Maxtor SATA, split into 2
> partitions with Windows on one partition. Also have a 40 gig EIDE
> drive. Upgrade required a new case, as I had no room for a 3rd drive.
> During move from one case to another I appear to have broken my MSI K8T
> Neo motherboard (unable to POST despite all attempts) so have now
> bought an Abit AV8 mobo.
> My question is this: how do I get the new mobo to recognise the
> existing Windows installation.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Jim

  • Re: WinXP move to a different motherboard
    ... After explaining to the rep the need for a motherboard ... >>> Now as to the motherboard change itself... ... >>> run a Repair install following the motherboard change as Rock has ... >>> You needn't fear to try to boot with the new motherboard immediately ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Upgrade problems
    ... you need to do a Repair Install. ... XP will rarely move from one motherboard to another and boot, due to the difference in IDE controller chipsets and other factors that make the installed HAL.DLL obsolete. ... MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ... > to Intel P4 on an Intel board. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Hardware Upgrade and Installation
    ... thus negating the need for a Repair install. ... > install the latest chipset driver. ... If the motherboard is dead then obviously this can't be ... > may or may not be found on first boot. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP - moving hard drive to a new system - PLEASE HELP!!!!
    ... assuming I won't be lucky enough to find my exact, outdated motherboard. ... type of Repair install before. ... the likelihood is that you *will* need to undertake a Repair ... new HDD before working with the former HDD following the installation of the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: WinXP move to a different motherboard
    ... After explaining to the rep the need for a motherboard ... >> a Repair install following the motherboard change as Rock has ... >> know that you will have to install the necessary drivers from the ... >> boot the system first just to see if it works. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)