Re: External HD/USB/"The format did not complete successfully"

"WilDeliver" <WilDeliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> 1. Installed USB2.0 card and breakout box - successful
>
> 2. WD Knowledge Base says about installing HD into USB enclosure:
> "Although WD hard drives should work properly in external FireWire and/or
> USB enclosures, we are not able to provide technical support for drives in
> this configuration beyond suggested jumper settings and warranty
> replacement.
> The suggested jumper setting for a WD EIDE drive used in an external
> enclosure is single (pins 4-6)."
>
> 3. Set jumpers, install Western Digital 120 GB Ultra ATA/100 into Adaptec
> External housing - successful
>
> 4. Go to Computer Management/Disk Management and drive is recognized.
> Partition it successfully, assign a drive letter (X - mnemonic for
> external).
> Display indicates Disk2 Online and Healthy. Finally I format it and the
> process goes to 100% and quits with a message "The format did not complete
> successfully." Tried also as a Quick Format without success.
>
> (Of note, but perhaps not of importance, Disk Management then no longer
> recognizes the hard drive - have to reboot.

If you have a floppy drive I suggest you make a DOS boot disk and load DUSE
(the DOS USB driver). A DOS boot disk can be downloaded from
www.bootdisk.com and 'Google' for DUSE. Use the boot disk to boot to dos
and format the external drive from DOS. That should fix it.

.