Re: External HD/USB/"The format did not complete successfully"

"WilDeliver" <WilDeliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> 1. Installed USB2.0 card and breakout box - successful
>
> 2. WD Knowledge Base says about installing HD into USB enclosure:
> "Although WD hard drives should work properly in external FireWire and/or
> USB enclosures, we are not able to provide technical support for drives in
> this configuration beyond suggested jumper settings and warranty
> replacement.
> The suggested jumper setting for a WD EIDE drive used in an external
> enclosure is single (pins 4-6)."
>
> 3. Set jumpers, install Western Digital 120 GB Ultra ATA/100 into Adaptec
> External housing - successful
>
> 4. Go to Computer Management/Disk Management and drive is recognized.
> Partition it successfully, assign a drive letter (X - mnemonic for
> external).
> Display indicates Disk2 Online and Healthy. Finally I format it and the
> process goes to 100% and quits with a message "The format did not complete
> successfully." Tried also as a Quick Format without success.
>
> (Of note, but perhaps not of importance, Disk Management then no longer
> recognizes the hard drive - have to reboot.

If you have a floppy drive I suggest you make a DOS boot disk and load DUSE
(the DOS USB driver). A DOS boot disk can be downloaded from
www.bootdisk.com and 'Google' for DUSE. Use the boot disk to boot to dos
and format the external drive from DOS. That should fix it.

  • Re: Extending the boot drive
    ... Install Ghost 2003 onto a Workstation ... You can then make a DOS Boot disk ... Heck you can probably afford HIGHER capacity! ... >> Should also work with a hardware mirror such (2 drives on Adaptec ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot mount 2.5" drive in USB 2.0 case!!
    ... > download and create a DOS boot disk and search Google ... drives FAT32 when used for backing up and transfer of data between machines. ... There is a utility that allows a drive formatted FAT32 can be read/write but ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • How do you share a drive on a XP-Pro M/C to DOS please?
    ... At the moment I have been using a DOS boot disk with Ghost 8 to create ... the Netbeui protocol, but I cannot get the XP-Pro machine visible on ... the network even with no Firewall running on it. ... Has anyone any idea how I can get the XP machine's drives visible to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Boot disk/drive problems! Help!
    ... >> I seem to be having problems with re-installing XP on my system. ... >> This is the program that loads instead of my boot disk. ... You were booting to a 3 GB drive while you have a 80 GB drive installed? ... you working with a motherboard so old that it can support drives only up to ...
  • Re: Should I put a BOOT DISK on a Floppy or CD... ?
    ... > "see" any of my drives is because Windows doesn't ... if I create the boot disk, what do I do with it? ... that boot disk if the boot sequence specified in the bios is ... > Do I somehow activate the boot disk from a command prompt? ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)