Re: External HD/USB/"The format did not complete successfully"

Do you have anything else connected to your USB ?

In device Manager what do you see for USB ?

"WilDeliver" <WilDeliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> 1. Installed USB2.0 card and breakout box - successful
>
> 2. WD Knowledge Base says about installing HD into USB enclosure:
> "Although WD hard drives should work properly in external FireWire and/or
> USB enclosures, we are not able to provide technical support for drives in
> this configuration beyond suggested jumper settings and warranty
> replacement.
> The suggested jumper setting for a WD EIDE drive used in an external
> enclosure is single (pins 4-6)."
>
> 3. Set jumpers, install Western Digital 120 GB Ultra ATA/100 into Adaptec
> External housing - successful
>
> 4. Go to Computer Management/Disk Management and drive is recognized.
> Partition it successfully, assign a drive letter (X - mnemonic for
> external).
> Display indicates Disk2 Online and Healthy. Finally I format it and the
> process goes to 100% and quits with a message "The format did not complete
> successfully." Tried also as a Quick Format without success.
>
> (Of note, but perhaps not of importance, Disk Management then no longer
> recognizes the hard drive - have to reboot.

  • Re: more on USB devices
    ... with power supply and USB cable) has been connected to a USB port, ... If you go to Disk Management with the first combination, ... use a utility that could handle physical as well as logical drives, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • [SLE] mounting USB disk?
    ... I'm trying to mount an external USB storage device. ... USB CDROM drives and solid-state 'keychain' storage devices and USB ... I believe I was last successful on a SuSE 8.0 laptop. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: 1 TB External Hard Drive Problem
    ... Under universal serial bus controllers I found 2 USB mass storage devices and removed them. ... I then plugged in 1 TB drive and checked under computer and disk management and it did not appear. ... As well as being listed under Disk drives it would also be listed under USB controllers as a USB Mass storage device, ... Windows Desktop Experience ...
  • Re: more on USB devices
    ... with power supply and USB cable) has been connected to a USB port, ... If you go to Disk Management with the first combination, ... use a utility that could handle physical as well as logical drives, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Windows Explorer Not seeing external drive
    ... I'd go to device manager on the PC it's working on and click 'view devices by connection' and expand Pci bus then you should see some USB ports if you expand each one till you find the hard disk then do the same thing on the non working PC and see if everything is the same.. ... Computer' then go to manage and select 'disk management' you should see it, right click the partition to either assign it a drive letter or to change the letter if it's already in use on your A pc. ... This non-recognition of USB devices (particularly external hard drives & flash drives) has reached epidemic proportions in the XP environment. ... Where a USB external HDD is involved, access Device Manager, highlight the Disk drives listing and click on the Action menu item and then the "Scan for hardware changes" sub-menu item. ...