Re: trying to connect a USB and Firewire external drive

"Albretch Mueller" <lbrtchx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> [...]
> (after taking it out of the enclosure). My drive is a Maxtor in a
> Wiebetech
> enclosure
>
> For some reason WIndows XP appears to detect it but I don't see the drive
> listed as a new storage item nor do new windows pop up as I remember was
> the case while uing WIndows 2000
>
> I have tried all 4 jumper positions, still I don't see the external drive
> even if I refresh the window
>
> What is wrong/going on here?
>
> So do/should I have any hope?
>
> Thanks
>
> // __ under Windows XP when I connect the device I see
> USB Storage
> USB Mass storage
> Your new hardware is ready to use
> But then when I click on "My computer" I don't see it as one of the
> options
> there.
>
> // __
> Placing the mouse over the external USB icon pops up the message: "Safely
> remove hardware"
>
> Then clicking on it shows me the window: "select the device you want to
> unplug ..."
>
> Underneath it says "MAXTOR 6 L080j4 USB Device at Location 0"
>
> If I select "MAXTOR 6 L080j4 USB Device" and click on properties, I see in
> the "General Tab" under status:
>
> "This device is working properly. If you are having problems with this
> device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."
>
> // __
> If I try in another port I get: "This device can perform faster. For a
> list
> of ..."
>
> // __ if I use the Firewire ports in the device. It tells me (even faster
> than when using the USB port):
> Oxford Semiconductor Ltd. OXFORD IDE Device
> LUN 0 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device
>
> "This device is working properly.If you are having problems with this
> device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."
>
> // __ then, using Windows XP, I went Start -> Control Panel -> Add
> Hardware,
> it tells me
> "You do not have sufficient security priviledges to install or uninstall
> devices on thsi computer. ..."
>
> I can unplug the device properly without any error messages or any other
> apparent problems
>
> // __ if I go through the control Panel -> System Properties -> Device
> Manager I see listed:
> Device Type: "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers"
>
> Manufacturer: "IEEE 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Vendor"
>
> Location: "PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 2, device 1, function 2)"
>
> // __ under device manager under "SBP2 Complaint IEEE 1394 Devices"
> Device Type: "SBP2 IEEE 1394 Devices"
>
> Manufacturer: "IEEE 1394 SBP-2 Device Vendor"
>
> Location: "on OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller"
>
> under details I see:
>
> 1394\OXFORD_SEMICONDUCTOR_LTD.___&OXFORD_IDE_DEVICE_LUN_0_\17010000A7FF3000

Albretch:
Uh-oh. I see by the responses to your query that the FAT32 - NTFS "thing" is
raising its ugly head.

(Nearly) needless to say that's not your problem.

I assume from what you've written that when you open Windows Explorer, your
EHD is not shown there so that you are unable to read or write from or to
that device.

Go to Start > right-click on My Computer > Manage > Computer Management >
Disk Management.
Is the EHD listed there? And if so, can you assign it a drive letter?
Anna

  • Re: Guillermitos Particles
    ... > lose access to the hardware. ... you could do this yourself in dos. ... You said it was a USB device, ... I have a strong aversion to booting to Windows ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Unknown USB Device
    ... I have a Gateway 710X running Windows XP Home Edition which has been ... The drive had been connected to the USB port for a long time without ... Found New Hardware: Unknown Device ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Unknown USB Device
    ... I have a Gateway 710X running Windows XP Home Edition which has been ... The drive had been connected to the USB port for a long time without ... Found New Hardware: Unknown Device ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: CE Development Time
    ... hardware, it will take months to generate one yourself. ... interrupts doesn't interfere with the display or logging operations. ... Then comes the effort to get the data from your USB device. ... you'll have to find or write a driver for it that Windows CE can use. ...
  • Re: XP Pro will not shut down, and CPU often reeves
    ... Uninstall/reinstall the hardware from Device Manager ... How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs ... CD-ROM Drive May Not Be Able to Read a UDF-Formatted Disc in Windows XP ... Here are some other links about troubleshooting optical drives: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)