Re: DVDRW Driver only working in PIO mode

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

"IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors
occur"

There's a lot of information in the article. The simplest is removing the
secondary IDE controller from Device Manager, and letting it automatically
re-install on reboot.

"TonyToniTone" <mixedcouple@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I am having problems with slow transfer rates when using my DVDRW drive. I
>am using windows xp professional and my drive set-up in the bios is as
>follows:-
>
> Primary Master: WDC WD200BB Hard Drive using DMA 5
> Primary Slave: WDC WD1600BB Hard Drive using DMA 5
> Secondary Master: DVDRW IDE1008 using DMA 4
> Secondary Slave: TOSHIBA DVD SDM1802 using DMA 2
>
> I think the problem is in Device Manager properties for the Secondary IDE
> Channel the current transfer mode being used for the DVDRW is PIO Mode,
> even though Transfer Mode is set to DMA if available.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to how I can change this drive to use DMA
> mode?
>
> Tony

  • Re: Cant get HDD out of PIO into DMA
    ... RPM ATA/100 HDD running XPPro SP2. ... Device Manager says Use DMA if Available, ... Have tried uninstalling Primary IDE as well as the ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller. ... XP detects and reinstalls these after reboot, but drive stays in PIO mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: PIO mode on secondary IDE controller
    ... downgraded to PIO mode and it's been necessary to remove/re-install the IDE ... IDE controller to DMA makes DMA ... > speed of that IDE channel is dropped down automatically. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Nero 5.5 CD burning problem with XP SP2- record buffer fluctuates wildly
    ... IDE driver- and I cannot uninstall that or the hard drive will ... IDE0 back on Sept 8 so XP probably disabled DMA on my hard drive then. ... that my CD burner is DMA and should not be running in PIO mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SATA drive stuck in PIO mode
    ... DMA Reverts to PIO ... IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors ... Windows on it) shows as running in PIO mode. ... I tried setting it to "PIO Only", then restarting, setting it back to "DMA ...
  • Re: Small Problem with SP2 - Need Help!
    ... >seems to be a problem with my hard drive using DMA on the Secondary IDE ... >My hard drive, a Maxtor 80, only shows PIO Mode in the Device Manager. ... >is well, if I put it on the Primary IDE cable, but not on the Secondary IDE ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)