Re: replaced hard disk wants to be F:

"John Coode" <faecius@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:eLEjkufXFHA.1152@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Andras wrote:
>> I had my (only) hard disk replaced and now it calls itself F:. The Zip
>> drive is C: and the rest is CD etc. As many installing programs default
>> to C:, this is annoying. Where do I change it? The boot order in BIOS is
>> floppy then hard disk...Is this is in Win XP?
>
> You should have disconnected the Zip drive before installing the new
> drive. This is a known behaviour. If you paid someone to replace the
> drive, complain and insist they put it right. Otherwise I fear the only
> way to get C: back as your system drive is to reformat the new drive and
> reinstall XP (after removing the Zip drive of course). You can then add
> the Zip drive back. Alternatively, learn to live with it. XP doesn't care
> which drive letter it is on and it is unlikely you will come across a
> program these days that won't give you the option to install it on any
> drive.

Formatting seems a bit extreme when you can just reassign the C: to the
harddrive through disk management. But I do agree with you, as I told
someone in another group that you should disconnect the other drives if
there is an issue with drive assignments.

Locke

  • Re: What?
    ... Try installing the game on another ... >if the game installs, the culprit is probably your CD ... > How to Disable Virtual CD rom drives which is ... Update the drivers for your sound and video cards. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: What?
    ... Try installing the game on another computer, ... How to Disable Virtual CD rom drives which is described at: ... | It wont open any windows! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: SP2 Very Very bad for me
    ... corruption, I can restore my complete system as it was on the last image, ... Hard drives ... I did do the following just prior to installing XP: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: E520 ands BIOS HD Setting
    ... I can't prevent a RAID setup using the two disks independantly? ... made a "Y" adapter cable to run from the older style power plug which is ... disks of different sizes could be used in a raid configuration, but there may be some wasted space as the the size of the smaller size will dictate the maximum usable size of all the drives in the raid. ... You can find drive installation instructions in the manual under 'removing and installing parts'... ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Two Drives, two XPs.
    ... Why not install a removable HDD in the machine to house ... Information on the separate drives is completely discrete. ... purposes desired -- installing different operating systems, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)