Re: Sound Card Dilemma

Hi all, I have got the Ectiva card working. Turns out that when I
uninstalled and removed the SB live! card (and deleted anything related to
it I could find), I somehow didnt get the EMU10K1 driver files. After
uninstalling the emu10k1 drivers, the ectiva works. All help appreciated.
Sixftdick

"Sixftdick" <Sixftdick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> About a month ago I installed Windows XP Pro on my home computer. I did a
> clean install, fully formatting the HDD to NTFS, and started from scratch.
> the computer specs are at the bottom of this post. However, when I
finished
> the installation, I had no audio. My soundcard was a Creative SoundBlaster
> Live (CT4832) card, and was detected and installed by windows (using the
> windows drivers). I then installed the Creative drivers from CD, and still
> no sound. I tried downloading the updates and patches from the creative
> website, but got an error, something like "no creative products could be
> detected on your computer. please make sure your soundcard is correctly
> installed before running this installer". I checked in the device manager,
> and the card appeared to be installed correctly. Sounds would appear to
play
> in some programs (VLC media player, for example), while in others would
hang
> (windows media player). I contacted creative, and have since tried
> uninstalling and re-installing straight from the CD (same error),
> re-installing with drivers from the CD (no sound). I have tried several
> 'clean sweep' installs (removing from the registry anything related to
> creative, soundblaster or onboard audio) with each installation option,
with
> the same result (no sound). The soundcard worked fine under Windows 98SE
and
> Windows ME. I have tried everything suggested by the creative labs people,
> with no luck I have checked the BIOS, and onboard audio (legacy and AC97)
is
> disabled (the jacks aren't on the MB anyway, otherwise I would use those).
> have updated the BIOS from ASUS, and everything seems to be fine there. I
> tried the card in several slots, with the same result.
>
> After trying all this, I decided to go out and get a cheap soundcard. I
got
> a Creative Ectiva 5.1 soundcard (I can't find a model number on either the
> card, the box or the manual/CD). When I installed this card, I got the
same
> problem (no sound). The card was detected by Windows, and the drivers were
> correctly sourced from the CD (I did not have to specify the location). I
> checked the BIOS, and onboard audio is still disabled. the card is
installed
> from the CD, using the drivers supplied by creative. I can't seem to find
> any drivers for this card on the creative website, and the ectiva website
is
> down (I assume because they were bought out by creative). In device
> manager, the card appears to be correctly installed (no conflicts or
> errors), however under "sounds and audio devices", all the options are
> greyed out, saying 'no playback devices', 'no recording devices', 'no midi
> devices', even though under hardware, my card is shown and has no
problems.
> The Card currently has IRQ9, the same as a number of other devices
(Geforce
> MX440 video card, netcomm modem, some other devices).
>
> As far as I can tell, everything was installed correctly for each
soundcard,
> and everything should be working. But it doesnt, the only sounds from my
> computer now being the pc speaker and the bearings in my fan. I have tried
> every jack on each card with speakers and 3 different sets of headphones,
> all of which work on other devices (including my wifes laptop). any help
is
> greatly appreciated. my machine specs are below.
>
> Processor: Intel Pentium III 866Mhz, socket 370
> Motherboard: Asus CUV4X, with no onboard audio jacks
> BIOS: VIA bios, ver 1.0.0.9, with VIA 4in1 Pack installed
> Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce (MX440? MX400? something like that, 128MB
with
> SVIDEO-out)
> Modem: Netcomm 56k modem
> Soundcard/s: Creative Soundblaster Live! (CT4832), Creative Ectiva 5.1
> Hard Disk: Seagate 20GB HDD (40-1 pin)
> CD drives: BenQ 52x24x52 CDRW, Fujitsu 52x CDROM
> 1.44" floppy drive
>
> OS - Windows XP Pro
>
> Once again, thanks.
>
> Sixftdick

  • Re: OK Windows fans, recommend me a computer
    ... For all that we hear about $300 Windows machines that are supposedly ... RAM and an officially qualified graphics card. ... helpful message saying there were no drivers for the card. ... The drivers are most likely part of an installation program, and not separately available on your particular CD. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire / help get it working!
    ... If when you plug in another type of PCI card the PC fails to recognise it, then you may have a damaged PCI slot, in which case the motherboard would need to be replaced by Dell or by an equivalent board from Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI etc.. ... You would need to perform a partial Repair re-installation of Windows XP because it would detect a change in hardware and this will cause Windows to have to be activated - so you'd need a valid Product Key. ... Was it from a Dell provided XP Pro installation disc as a legal downgrade from Vista Business/Ultimate or a Dell Recovery disc image? ...
    (uk.music.guitar)
  • Re: Nikon LS-2000 and LS-30 and Windows 7
    ... "I'm trying to install a coolscan III under Windows 7, but when i run the Nikon Scan the program doesn't find the device I'm trying with a Tekram DC-395 U card. ... Regarding ASPI installation: The batch file that did the installation under XP executes 3 relevant steps. ...
    (comp.periphs.scanners)
  • Re: Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire / help get it working!
    ... exclamation mark in Device Manager no matter what card you plug in. ... need to be replaced by Dell or by an equivalent board from Gigabyte, ASUS, ... re-installation of Windows XP because it would detect a change in hardware ... completely clean installation of Windows from full licensed OEM ...
    (uk.music.guitar)
  • Re: BSOD IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
    ... BigDogR wrote: ... taking both sound card and video capture card out and still had the ... being loaded on the Windows installation screen. ... installation, however, I think I will get the same error. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)