Re: Reinstalled XP Home Ed on HP zx5000--Wireless Install

From: "W. eWatson" <wolftracks@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It would be near amazing if we had the same SSID and access key.
Is it possible that when I fire up IE for the first time, I need to supply some
parameters? Although, when I was at his house, I don't recall doing that.

I think I'm going to drive down to my friendly computer shop and ask the techs down
there if they've encountered anything like this.

The WiFi device has a unique SSID and passphrase/key. It is incumbant upon you to know
or ascertain this. If the WiFi Router was NOT setup by you and came from an ISP then it is possible that the SSID and passphrase/key are imprinted on a label on thw WiFi Router.
The use of a thumb drive is for making a backup of the WiFi configuration.
| Yes, I know what it the SSDID and key are. They are printed on a paper
| on my desk.

Often WiFi Routers can perform a pairing function. That is you tell, or press a button,
on the PC with WiFi or WiFi enabled device that you intend to pair with a Router.
Likewise you tell, or press a button, on the Router indicating that you want to pair it
to a WiFi enabled PC or device. On the Router this could be a button or you have to go
the web URL of the Router such as http://192.168.1.1 with a Name and Password.

There is NO information to provide to IE. IE and all TCP/IP compliant software are
dependent upon the WINdows SOCKets (WINSOCK) to perform all network communications.
Either via wired Ethernet or via WiFi. You have to approach this from the network
connectivity POV. Once this is established all TCP/IP compliant software inherit this
from the OS.

| Well, my wife got back from her trip, and looked at this. She
| re-installed XP, and got the PC to acknowledge wireless connections via
| the Belkin card. She showed me how it might be done elsewhere. It's
| presently showing our router SSID.
|
| However, I tried to get IE up as a browser, and got nowhere to
| connecting it to the web. This is unlike what happened at my friend's
| house a few weeks ago.
|
| Under IE Tools->Options->Connections, and I see our network provider is
| MSN. I certainly don't want that. I use FireFox, but in any case we use
| AT&T (SBCGlobal) as our ISP. If I click Add (connection), I get some
| choices. Connect to Private network, etc. IE is find for my friend.
|
| What's next to get this working?

IE Tools->Options->Connections is NOT the way to go.

If you don't have a TCP/IP address after entering the SSID and key, then there are two possibilities.
1. You provided the wrong information
2. The XP is not installed correctly.

You will have to use thye Belkin tools and VERIFY that your WiFi card is connecting to YOUR Router WiFi SSID.

Verification of an IP address is done by opening a Command Prompt and in the console windolws typing; ipconfig

The Vista notebook I am on shows...

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : my.Verizon.Net
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::254d:241f:dca1:fc3c%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30

Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

  • Re: 2 wire DSL
    ... this how your network is setup? ... Most DSL routers do NAT by default, ... capabilities so most users opt for a secondary router. ... then your WiFi router is ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Column: Answering Some Common Windows XP Home Networking Quest
    ... I have a 3rd PC running XP connected into a 2nd network ... with a wired router, and the Main computer is also on this network. ... on the wired router to have access to the Internet via the cable modem. ... Note that getting ICS working is subject to how you configure both the WiFi ...