Re: Will Old XP Applications Run on Windows7?

Roy wrote:
On Sep 19, 12:36 pm, Todd <T...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/18/2011 11:35 PM, Nil wrote:

The OS [Vista/7] is very reliable and almost never
crashes on its own.
WHAT A CROCK OF MANURE!

My Windows 7 crashes way more often than XP ever did. Brand new
machine, nothing but crashes if you rush it a bit. IE9 crashes
often...have to use a beta Java for it to work at all.

It does boot up quickly though...big deal.

==

Just to be clear here, are we talking about a single program
doing an abnormal exit ? Or is the OS collapsing to the point
that you get a Blue Screen of Death, with the traditional
error numbers ?

If the latter, you can try disabling automatic restart, so the
message stands still. Then you can copy the details.

(Example of a BSOD - a "Stop 0x8E")
http://www.gadgetlite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/windows-7-bsod.jpg

(Says 0x8e is "Kernel Mode Exception". You can look up BSODs here.)
http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

The last time I checked, my tick box was properly unticked, but I
don't remember doing it. You untick the "Automatically Restart" box,
so the blue screen will stand still for you.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii36/whs37/HTG23/2010-04-10_192930.png

When you receive a new computer, there is no reason to believe the
manufacturer has tested it. If you watch the test procedures, some
of them are pretty damn quick. (I watched a video of them testing a
motherboard at a motherboard factory, and the test takes 2 minutes tops.)
Sometimes it can take an hour of testing with a memory test floppy,
or a few hours with Prime95 or other burn-in style test program,
to uncover a hardware issue. I don't consider a box "ready to use",
until the user has spent the better part of a day doing tests.
Mainly because you can't depend on manufacturers to do it for you.

Programs can crash due to hardware issues to. But as well as that,
things that are misconfigured, can tip a box over. And malware
is a significant part of misconfiguration (like stopping services
or hijacking them).

On my laptop, a problem I was working on yesterday, turned out to
exist even when I returned the laptop to "factory state" by doing
a restore from the hidden partition on the disk. One of the cruftware
programs added to the machine by Acer, did that, and I still haven't
figured out how to fix it. I'm not confident that if I attempt to
remove it, the "Windows goodness" will be put back for me. I expect
whatever registry settings they trashed, are gone for good (and would
have to be regenerated, somehow).

*******

If you want to test hardware stability, you can use Prime95.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

There are versions for Windows and Linux. Why that is important is,
you can test in *both* environments. See if the program crashes
in Windows, or reports a "rounding error" in a short time in the
Windows version first. Now, we don't know why it is erroring out,
but doing the test in Windows, establishes a baseline behavior.

Then, download a Ubuntu disc (.ISO file) from Ubuntu.com . Burn a CD
with that (using Imgburn, if you don't have a capable .ISO burner program).
Once the burn is complete, leave the CD in the machine, and do a reboot.

After several minutes, the boot will complete, and you should have a
Linux desktop. There is a Firefox icon at the top of the screen,
and you can download the 32 or 64 bit version of MPrime from the web
site. You have to extract the files from the archive. You then open
a Terminal window, navigate to where the extracted files are located, and do

./mprime

and answer the questions. Then, the stress tester can give the machine
a workout.

In this example web site, they gloss over the details of how to
extract a downloaded executable in the Linux world. Which is
unfortunate, as if you've never worked in the Terminal before,
it takes time to become familiar with what to do. When I started
out years ago, I had my trusty "C Shell" book to help me learn
what to do. I don't even think about some of the steps any more,
but I do remember what a pain it was at first, figuring out what
to type and when. (It's like not knowing what commands to type
in an MSDOS window.)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Stress_Test

For software that is loaded in a Linux package manager, that takes some
of the steps out of the process. You still have to run the code, such
as typing the above line in the Terminal (as the program doesn't have
a GUI). But it's still a way to stress test, while running a different
OS. If the program errors out quickly, like it did in Windows, then
chances are the RAM is bad, or the motherboard is bad etc. And then,
it's no longer an OS issue.

I remember years ago, I had problems with my 440BX box. I blamed
Win98SE for the grief. About a year later, I happened to boot Linux
and repeat my test cases, and damn if it didn't crash there too.
That's when I discovered it wasn't the fault of the OS after all.
It was a hardware design issue (not even broken hardware, just
badly *designed* hardware). By not tickling the particular bug, the
machine remains to this day, as solid as a rock (just slow). I
can run Prime95 for 16 hours straight, when the offending hardware
config is not present, and it runs clean.

Paul

  • Subject: Re: Linux sucks?
    ... > the applications I run in my field do not run on Linux. ... I have cygwin on Windows ... so Windows users only hit this rarely at install. ... XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Need tutorials, guides... However...
    ... performance loss you'll get from an OS like Windows or Linux. ... machines out there have gone off in many different directions. ... expect to find certain hardware at certain addressess. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Just Got Back From NAMM. Why so little Linux?
    ... Windows programs, well, maybe just a little, but there are so many ... supported under Linux, well, yeah, that's let me down. ... your software becomes sufficiently out of date you'll get no more support from the ... If you don't change your hardware or OS, ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3
    ... Redmond) to upgrade to higher end hardware for their latest offerings as ... Linux specifically because they can cheaply clean and refurbish old ... experimentation with Linux and back towards just sticking with Windows. ... usability -- it is almost solely a lack of promotion and sales knowhow ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux-Notebook gesucht
    ... Gibts aber nur bei MacOS und Windows. ... dann wäre auch Linux proprietär. ... Und es funktioniert bei allen Geräten wirklich die komplette Hardware ...
    (de.comp.sys.notebooks)