Re: word Document slow

Gil wrote:

Why is opening/saving /closing a new document so slow?

Depends on what application you are using to open the file.
Depends on which version of Windows.
Depends if the file is local or on a network resource.
Depends on your network speed (local or Internet) of a networked file.
Depends on how robust or weak is your hardware.
Depends on the security software you installed (anti[virus|malware],
firewall, etc) or whatever you might've installed that interrogates
the content of files when you open, create, or modify them.
Depends on how big is the file.
Depends if you install some file indexing program.
Depends on what malware might be running on your host.
Depends on lots of possibilities.
Oh yeah, like we're supposed to troubleshoot a completely unknown setup.

--- Posting Hints ---

ALWAYS REVIEW your message before submitting it. You want someone OTHER
than yourself to understand your post. Also remember that no one here
is looking over your shoulder to see at what you are pointing. If you
don't well explain your situation by providing the DETAILS that you
already know, don't expect others to know what is your situation.
Explain YOUR computing environment and just what actions you take to
reproduce the problem.

Often you get just one chance per potential respondent to elicit a reply
from them. If they skip your post because you gave them nothing to go
on (no details, no versions, no OS, no context) then they will usually
move on to the next post and never return to yours.

What is Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

When using a webnews-for-dummies interface (e.g., Microsoft's
Communities, Google Groups, or a leech site using a forum-to-Usenet
proxy), those are gateways to Usenet. Despite the pretense of a forum,
you are participating in a newsgroup (aka Usenet). Also, Microsoft is
dropping their "Communities" webnews-for-dummies that gateways to Usenet
so you'll either have to figure out how to connect a newsreader to an
NNTP server or suffer with Microsoft's inane web-based forums.

How to post to newsgroups:
http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml

Regarding error or status messages:
- Do NOT omit the message.
- Do NOT describe the message.
- Do NOT summarize the message.
- Do NOT paraphrase the message.
- Do NOT truncate the message.
- Do show the ENTIRE message (but munge or star out personal info,
like your username in an e-mail address but not the domain).
And DETAIL the steps to reproduce the error or problem.

Bye.

  • Re: Newsgroup back!
    ... Shall we start with your claim that Usenet and the Web are the same ... the Internet international computer network linking together thousands ... to in order to read newsgroup messages. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)
  • Re: OT: Ex-Intel Officers Speak on Plames Behalf
    ... They're the ones that think USENET is a debating society. ... > where, who can post articles, or anything else. ... The newsgroup creation process is one such ... Usenet is not an academic network. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Word 97 problem w fonts, printing
    ... Since I'm not on a network, I'm a bit vague on how to do this, but if no one ... please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so ... I believe the drivers are installed because I was using this printer ... Would it still be advisable to try to install the driver, ...
  • Re: Another update problem
    ... Please repost this to the public.windowsupdate newsgroup ... I tried that, but an error declared that the source was on an unavailable network, therefore could not be removed until I made that network available. ... The only network I used at update time was the internet and it's available. ... These Catch 22's are getting old and I'm wondering why something wants me to install it all over again anyway. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Did you know?
    ... net.sf-lovers newsgroup. ... National Science Foundation constructed a network on the university ... technically that of the birth of the Internet but this was years before ... NSFNet include USENET, BITNET and the various commercial and educational ...
    (rec.arts.drwho)