Re: Glitch When Updating

I tried, but only made it through Part 1, when it states to reboot & then it should ... it just goes back in to it's rebooting process. I can't boot into any of the modes it suggests under F8 (or the screen it boots to which is "windows did not shut down properly" made a selection").

Win XP Pro was installed on the computer when we got it, that is the disk I have as well. I found a thread about starting the restore process from a C:\prompt (C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe) but when I type that in I get an error that the command is not recognized. Even if I go directly into the restore folder and just type rstrui it gives the same error. I was hoping that was a solution.

I tried using the Gateway recovery disk as well, and it didn't even get as far as the XP disk.

Thanks for assistance to this point!

"Daave" <daave@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u7iDc55GLHA.1016@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have an OEM operating system. It didn't affect me. Nor has it mattered to all the others who posted here and used that method. You need to use the XP Pro installation CD, not the Gateway Recovery CD, because the former is what contains the Recovery Console.

Does your daughter have XP Home or XP Pro on her PC?

I assume the PC came pre-installed with XP Pro since you said the PC came with that disk. But you know what they say about assuming... LOL

To the best of my knowledge, even if she has XP Home, the Recovery Console is still the Recovery Console, and it shouldn't matter if it's on an XP Home or XP Pro installation CD. If anyone else monitoring this thread can confirm or deny this, that would be great.

That being said, it always makes sense to back up all your data if you haven't done so already; you can never be too safe. You could either physically connect your hard drive to another PC or boot off a rescue disk like Knoppix, Ubuntu, or Linux Mint (or Bart PE or UBCD4Win) and transfer the data to an external hard drive.

But I think the OEM message on that page is overstated. I'm pretty sure if you follow the directions to the letter, your problem will be solved. And in order to avoid this from happening again, you could use an uninterrupted power supply. Furthermore, if you regularly create images of your hard drive, you could restore the most recent one in order to recover from similar disasters in the future. Feel free to start a new thread in the future if you would like further guidance in imaging your drive.

If the method from the Microsoft page doesn't work (and other methods also fail to work), you may very well need to run the Gateway restoration to its original fresh-from-the-factory condition (or use the XP Pro installation CD; just make sure you obtain all the necessary hardware drivers). Again, you will need to make sure all the data is saved first!

Jamie W wrote:
Before I give this a shot, it states NOT to do this is you have a OEM
installed operating system. Win XP came installed on this computer,
so does that prevent me from trying this? Don't want to make it worse (if
that's even possible). Thanks.

"Daave" <daave@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Since you are able to run the Recovery Console, try the method
outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Jamie W wrote:
Tried again this am, here are my steps and results.

Gateway Recovery Disk: (first the CD drive has to be manually
opened for some reason). "R" for recovery: Error:
File fastfat.sys caused unexpected error (32768) @ line 5025 in
\xpspl\base\boot\setup\setup.c

Win XP Pro SP 1A installation disk (came with computer). Windows
Setup Screen "R" for recovery console
Took me to c:\Windows\ screen

Can run dir, but looks like it only is giving me the files on the CD
not the actual hard drive. Been a long time since I've been at a
screen prompt, so wasn't sure what to try from here. That's where
it's sitting right
now at a C prompt

Anytime I try to run "Safe Mode"; "Last known good config", etc it
shows the basic files being ran, and then it just reboots back to
that screen
"Windows did not shut down properly......."

Thank you so much for attempting to help. Jamie

"Daave" <daave@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Jamie W wrote:
My daughter's computer was recently doing an update. We were at
the point where the computer was rebooting and had the screen "do
not turn off your computer, updating......" etc. Unfortunately,
our ISP went out at that time, and the computer was left in that
limbo for over 24 hours. I finally just hit the power button to
turn it off, and now when we turn it on it is in a continual loop
of rebooting itself. I've tried putting in the Windows disk and
it reads it okay, and will get so far to reinstall, but then it
does the same thing and reboots itself.
I don't know what to try at this point. I'd really like to not
lose everything on her hard drive if possible. Any suggestions
welcome.

LOL

I see you originally posted to the Help and Support newsgroup,
which is no longer being carried on the MS news server!

Here was my response:

Please describe the "Windows disk." Is it an actual Windows XP
installation CD (and if so, what SP level?) or something else?

What does the phrase "will get so far to reinstall" mean? What
exactly did you do? Were you trying to use the Recovery Console?
Were you trying to perform a Repair Install? Please include as many
details as possible in your next post.

signature database 5250 (20100704) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5251 (20100704) __________