Re: SP3 will not install but no error message

Your questions are appropriate and I accept guilt for the inertia and delay.
But it's never too late and after reading your response and others it finally
installed. For others reading this correspondence deactivate your antiviral
program...in this instance McAfee.
--
LJB

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Why wasn't SP3 installed two years ago?

Are you currently running WinXP SP2?

in the background when you attempted to install SP3?

it)?

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009. Such support will cost you
US$59 or higher per incident now.

Note: Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that
date, computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further
critical security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows
Update website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

LewB wrote:
I', trying to install SP3 for my XP professional program, I used the
express method and the files were downloaded to the computer and
installation started Wizard. The program gets "stuck" very early on at
the
part "updating your system, creating cabinets, etc. details says Running
Process Before Install". 5 progress bars come up and that is it!! But
there is no error message, etc. Just stuck. Thanks everyone