Re: SP3 will not install but no error message

Your questions are appropriate and I accept guilt for the inertia and delay.
But it's never too late and after reading your response and others it finally
installed. For others reading this correspondence deactivate your antiviral
program...in this instance McAfee.
--
LJB

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Why wasn't SP3 installed two years ago?

Are you currently running WinXP SP2?

in the background when you attempted to install SP3?

it)?

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009. Such support will cost you
US$59 or higher per incident now.

Note: Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that
date, computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further
critical security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows
Update website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

LewB wrote:
I', trying to install SP3 for my XP professional program, I used the
express method and the files were downloaded to the computer and
installation started Wizard. The program gets "stuck" very early on at
the
part "updating your system, creating cabinets, etc. details says Running
Process Before Install". 5 progress bars come up and that is it!! But
there is no error message, etc. Just stuck. Thanks everyone

  • Re: failed updates
    ... it lists five possible CAUSES and a RESOLUTION for each: Which one applies to your situation? ... you use the Windows Update Web site or Automatic Updates: ... I would NOT attempt to installed WinXP SP3 manually unless and until ... How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: SP3 will not install but no error message
    ... Can you expand on McAfee comment. ... Are you currently running WinXP SP2? ... How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SP3 will not install but no error message
    ... Can you expand on McAfee comment. ... Are you currently running WinXP SP2? ... How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SP3 ( KB936929 ) Fails to install repeatedly
    ... WinXP SP3 was released to Automatic Updates on 10 Jul-08. ... Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete" ... WinXP SP3 installation fails with an error message, and the following error is logged in the service pack installation log: ... Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SP3
    ... This free support ends in April and you'll soon have to have SP3 installed in order to be offered any further critical security updates. ... what can you do when the PC cannot start windows? ... How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)