Re: SP3 will not install but no error message

Why wasn't SP3 installed two years ago?

Are you currently running WinXP SP2?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you attempted to install SP3?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009. Such support will cost you US$59 or higher per incident now.

Note: Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

LewB wrote:
I', trying to install SP3 for my XP professional program, I used the
express method and the files were downloaded to the computer and
installation started Wizard. The program gets "stuck" very early on at the
part "updating your system, creating cabinets, etc. details says Running
Process Before Install". 5 progress bars come up and that is it!! But
there is no error message, etc. Just stuck. Thanks everyone

  • Re: Error Code: 0x80070663 When Installing SP3 on Office XP Profession
    ... Insert your Office XP CD into the appropriate drive bay before attempting to install SP3 again. ... would have been after early May-08), the free MS support applies to you. ... How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Is WinXP Sp3 update necessary?
    ... - Whom told you that SP3 was for improved security? ... SP1a and SP2. ... Also - you eliminate any strange download ... installation and update of the SP3 is something of concern. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • I experienced the same situtation
    ... Most likely after installation of SP3 ... uninstall all usb device and restart ... since USB connectivity is constantly disrupted. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: SP 3...I Just Cant Pull the Trigger :o
    ... running WinXP SP1or WinXP SP2. ... keep receiving critical security updates through 2014. ... A Restore Point will be created automatically when you install SP3. ... WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Is WinXP Sp3 update necessary?
    ... Slow boot up time.. ... Then when the installation is complete I ... Before the SP3 installation, the boot up time was just slightly above ... restore your most recent image. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)