Re: Internet access issues

Thanks so much for your advice. I will see what I can do with the links
you've posted. I appreciate your timely response!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I ran a full system scan for viruses, malware, spryware and
adware, including MS' update malware detection and removal tool -- no
issues and no solution to the problem.

That does NOT mean the machine is 100% hijackware-free.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

kevpken wrote:
Over the last week or so I have been unable to access the internet other
than the sign in pages for my accounts with Amazon and Newegg. All other
attempts at accessing web pages is met with an error message that the
network has timed out while trying to establish a connection. This occurs
with both the latest version of Mozilla Firefox and IE8. I ran a network
diagnostics with IE8 and was informed that I had a possible firewall
problem with ports 80, 433 and 21. I checked those via the Windows
firewall and the firewall provided by the Trend Micro Systems anti-virus
program that I use. All the ports are fine and functioning normally (TCP,
allowed). I ran a full system scan for viruses, malware, spryware and
adware, including MS' update malware detection and removal tool -- no
issues and no solution to the problem. I use System Mechanic Pro for
general system monitoring, but have opted out of using the registry repair
tools, other than registry back up, on the advice of users more
knowlegable
than myself. System Mechanic has detected no issues with the system. I
tried System Restore for a quick fix, but XP informed me that it was
unable
to restore the computer to ANY of the dates I attempted. I ensure that
System Restore was running on the C drive via both Control Panel and
Component services. I even turned off the feature, rebooted the system
and
restarted the process all to no avail. I am running XP Pro SP3 and I have
ruled out all possibilites that I can think -- I have internet access with
my laptop, which is virtually a mirror, in terms of system settings as my
problematic desktop. Any ideas would be most appreciated!

.