Re: XP-Pro: Unable to upgrade to SP3

Sorry. My intention is to reply to all the parties that have given valuable
advice, including yourself.

I am now trying to reinstall the WindowsInstaller with the instructions in
the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

After renaming the files to *.old, and install the "new" WinInstaller from
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803. Unfortunately, it was not successful.
The error said I had a newer SP (SP3?), and don't need KB893803.

Is there a newer WinInstaller than that given in KB893803?

Lee

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Assuming you're replying to me, please reply to my posts, not yours, Lee.

See Shenan's reply. Here's my version:

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

LeeCC wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful info.

I managed to install SP3 by doing the followings:

1. Remove the partial installed (but failed) SP3 from Add/Remove Software
in
CP.
2. After the removal, IE starts working again.
3. Download the stand alone version of SP3.
4. Pause the AntiVirus (Avast!)
5. Reinstall SP3 successfully, so to speak (pls read below).

But two problems remaining, not sure they are related to SP3:
a. Windows Automatic Update screen in CP, both Green and Red buttons
greyed
out, so I guess there is no "auto" update. I have to do it manually.

b. When I try to install Windows Defender (under Genuine MS Software), I
got an error message: "The Windows Installer Service could not be
accessed..... Windows installer is not correctly installed".

It seems there is no end to my problems!! Sorry for all these troubles.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
Did you read this before installing SP3? =>
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications
running
in the background when you installed SP3?

Related references include:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment/browse_frm/thread/9fc49452d7316b3c/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/0ba87c62-a9eb-4479-8f17-1ae3083fde77

LeeCC wrote:
Thanks for the detailed reply.

When I reinstall SP3, the error message is "not enough storage ....".
Following the instructions given in KB, I use cleanmgr to free up about
6G
hard disk space.

But now I am in a bigger trouble: after restart and about to reinstall
SP3,
I can't log on to any webpages. (of course, one of them is
WindowsUpdate).

When I checked the Internet Explorer under Add Remove Windows components
in
ControlPanel, I got this error message: "unable to open information file
koc.inf" "specific error code is 0x2 at line 2088999616".

Not sure this has anything to do with the partial (and failed)
installation
of SP3. But the most urgent task now is to log on.

Would appreciate your urgent help. Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
...I always get
an error message saying unable to do so (failed installation after
downloading the necessary files), and hence rolled back to SP2.

Without knowing the complete (verbatim) error message, I'm just shooting
in
the dark here...

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

The hard disk space requirements for WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

You receive error messages if there is insufficient free disk space on
the
system drive to install the Windows XP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956894

How to reclaim disk space on a Windows XP-based computer that has a hard
disk capacity of 4 GB or less
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956324

Error message when you try to install Windows XP SP3: "You do not have
enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to archive the uninstall files"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949375

Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

=> Possible fixes include http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222 &
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/

WinXP SP3 installation fails with an error message, and the following
error
is logged in the service pack installation log: "8007F0F4 -
STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388

Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
"Service
Pack 3 installation did not complete" and "An internal error occurred":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949384

NB: If SP3 isn't install by next April, your computer will not be
offered
any further critical security updates.

MS was offering free installation and compatibility support from March
2008
until late May 2009. Such support now will cost you US$59 per incident.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

LeeCC wrote:
My notebook's OS is XP-Pro. During the Windows Update to SP3, I always
get
an error message saying unable to do so (failed installation after
downloading the necessary files), and hence rolled back to SP2.

Anyone has a solution to this? Or can I just leave it as SP2? (but
seems
no
further updates coming in with SP2).

  • Re: Why do we still need SP2?
    ... How come they didnt' do the same thing with SP3, ... Windows XP was originally released without service packs - ... It's true - you can take a fully installed and operating Windows XP RTM (no ... install SP3 onto the same install without first installing SP1/1a or SP2. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Updates
    ... I had all the updates, but then picked up some virus and ended up ... I still know people running Windows 98 happily. ... I have been running Windows XP since its release, been using SP3 since ... Reboot right before you try to install SP3. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: How Safe is it to upgrade to Win XP Sp3 ?
    ... There have been machines that had issues applying Windows XP SP3 ... Reboot right before you try to install SP3. ... Service Pack 3 is mostly all of the updates released after SP2 and until the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant update or download anything, PLEASE HELP!!
    ... running XP with service pack 2, cant find the normal service pack 3 ... Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the ... Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications. ... A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: SP3
    ... important files.Why?If sp3 is not important,how do I remove notice ... Do *you* really need Windows XP SP3? ... Reboot right before you try to install SP3. ... Service Pack 3 is mostly all of the updates released after SP2 and until the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)