Re: running out of space.........I "guess"?

"Gerry" <gerry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23JnIiDJ%23JHA.4168@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mike

You're mistaken on several counts.

XP does not need 20-25gb. You are confusing the requirements of XP plus pagefile plus programmes plus default folders like My Documents etc with the requirements of the operating system. As long as there is free disk space elsewhere you can run a problem free computer with much less than 20 gb. All that is needed is organisation. On this computer the used space on C, including the pagefile, is 8.3 gb. It could be a lot less.

Using a computer on a daily basis makes it pointless retaining restore points for more than 14 days. I regularly use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the latest restore point. Restore points are most useful undoing a change that has gone wrong. You do that within a day or two.

How does limiting space allocated to storing unnecessary historic restore points amount to crippling System Restore? Your statement is simply untrue! I was going to say gross exaggeration but that understates your position.

Disk space utilisation and system restore are topics I have studied in some depth over 10 years.

--

Gerry
~~~~

Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
"Gerry" <gerry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

You can create more free space in C by
carrying any of the measures suggested below.

The default allocation to System Restore is 12% on your C partition
which is over generous. I would reduce it to 700 mb. Right click
your My Computer icon on the Desktop and select System Restore.
Place the cursor on your C drive select Settings but this time find
the slider and drag it to the left until it reads 700 mb and exit.
When you get to the Settings screen click on Apply and OK and exit.

A default setting which could be wasteful is that for temporary
internet files, especially if you do not store offline copies on
disk. The default allocation is 3% of drive. Depending on your
attitude to offline copies you could reduce this to 1% or 2%. In
Internet Explorer select Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary
Internet Files, Settings to make the change. At the same time look
at the number of days history is held.

The default allocation for the Recycle Bin is 10 % of drive. Change
to 5%, which should be sufficient. In Windows Explorer place the
cursor on your Recycle Bin, right click and select Properties, Global and
move the slider from 10% to 5%. However, try to avoid letting it get
too full as if it is full and you delete a file by mistake it will
bypass the Recycle Bin and be gone for ever.

If your drive is formatted as NTFS another potential gain arises with
your operating system on your C drive. In the Windows Directory of
your C partition you will have some Uninstall folders in your Windows
folder typically: $NtServicePackUninstall$ and $NtUninstallKB282010$
etc. These files may be compressed or not compressed. If compressed
the text of the folder name appears in blue characters. If not
compressed you can compress them. Right click on each folder and
select Properties, General, Advanced and check the box before
Compress contents to save Disk Space. On the General Tab you can see
the amount gained by deducting the size on disk from the size.
Folder compression is only an option on a NTFS formatted drive / partition.

Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System
Information, Tools, Dr Watson and verify that the box before "Append
to existing log" is NOT checked. This means the next time the log is
written it will overwrite rather than add to the existing file.

You can generate more space in the system partition by relocation of
folders.

For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.

To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/files/store.htm

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

You may also need to change Default File locations in the Microsoft
Office programmes you choose to move the My Documents folder. For
Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents,
click on Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools,
Options, General and change default file path.

My Documents is one of a number of system created Special Folders
including My Pictures and My Music. These can more easily be
relocated using TweakUi. Download TweakUI, one of the MS powertoys,
from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp In TweakUi select My Computer, Special Folders. You can scroll down
to see the full list of Special Folders to the left of the Change
Location button.

You can move programmes but to do this you have to uninstall and
reinstall.

Select Start, All Programs, accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp,
More Options, System Restore and remove all but the latest System
Restore point. Run Disk Defragmenter

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.riogrande wrote:
I have a 120 GB drive with two partitions; C is 14 GB and has 155 mb
left according to disk management. D is the rest of the Hard drive
and has 80 GB left free. Sony Vaio media computer, running XP Home
SP3 on a P4 at 2.66mhz (prob TMI).
Anyway, a while back I moved all photos, etc to the D drive to save
space on C drive. But, things keep "growing" (sorta like having
rabbits I guess) and now the C drive is very full and methinks I
should run defrag and all that, but it won't run due to insufficient
space.
I have gone through windows explorer to see if there are any other
files to move, but don't find any data files I haven't already
moved. I run Quicken, and assume that data is on the C drive and it
may be big, but no other stuff jumps out. Simple HP printer files,
M/S updates and patches seem pretty big, but once installed can
they be blown away? and that is about it.
So, I "guess" I need to enlarge the C drive? If so, what is the
recommended way?
In reading these posts I see that there are a few opinions, but I'm
assuming I need to get partition magic or backup both drives (image
copy? on a new HD (pretty cheap)) and reinstall from the Sony disks
and when doing so...make the C drive 20 or 25 GB.
What say ye experts?
Thanks for the advice.......novice techie

Gerry

XP needs 20-25gb.. crippling the ability to store restore points is
not a particularly good idea..

Gerry

The OP has ONE drive so the pagefile stays where it is..

There is little point in installing programs on a second drive because they will need to be reinstalled in the event of a major crash anyway..

Reducing the capacity of XP to create minidumps or be able to defrag is ridiculous when there is 80gb free on the second partition.

With that amount of space doing nothing, why make it difficult for XP or the user?

Keep it simple is the best way for the majority of users..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

  • Re: Perfect Disk offline defrag pass is SLOW!!!
    ... How to Gain Access to the System Volume Information Folder ... housekeeping before running Disk Defragmenter. ... Both have 10GB C: drives. ... >>> that might not be enough for the offline defrag to proceed ...
  • Re: Bad Experience with Acronis Backup Software
    ... last good message but will not help if there is a disk hardware crash. ... You said that Symantec Ghost 10 is still a very good backup program. ... What do you think of Symantec Save and Restore? ... drives onto another drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Low disk error problems
    ... on your C partition which is over generous. ... This will create 1.2 gb free disk space. ... If compressed the text of the folder name appears in blue ... One hard drive was partitioned into 3 drives (an unnamed EISA config ...
  • Re: "Undeletable" File
    ... I'll consider using a disk editor but I'm afraid I find the prospect daunting so I'm going to give the problem a rest for a bit. ... Download: http://www.killbox.net/downloads/KillBox.exe ... Open your backup program and restore the file you created to ... the folder where the undeletable file is, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: running out of space.........I "guess"?
    ... As long as there is free disk space elsewhere you can run a problem free computer with much less than 20 gb. ... Using a computer on a daily basis makes it pointless retaining restore points for more than 14 days. ... the text of the folder name appears in blue characters. ... assuming I need to get partition magic or backup both drives (image ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)