Re: Repair Install can't find files.

Michael Jennings;935688 Wrote:
When I try to do a Windows XP Repair Install after booting from a
Windows XP
SP3 OEM CD, after it gets considerably into the repair installation, it

begins saying it cannot find files that are there. There are maybe 100
files
it says it can't find. There is no problem reading the files with the
same
hardware and the same CD when booted from XP and accessing the files
directly.

I've had no problems re-loading Windows XP on other computers, so
possibly
this particular computer is infected with malware. Windows XP SP3 on
this
computer works well. However, I am worried that it is infected, and
want to
do a repair install.

Could this be a problem with file permissions or ownership? Registry
entry
permissions?

The computer that is affected is important. It is not feasible at this
time
to re-format the hard drive and re-install all the programs, so we want
to do
a Repair Install.

In case you've not given up on this:

Although I've run into the same problem a workaround I used was to copy
the files individually. It's truly a royal pain but you can press,
<F10> , I think it is, to open up a command window and copy the files
manually while you're in the install/repair option of setup.

Still looking for the cause of this problem though and I've not come
upon anything concrete after doing the obvious malware searches,
memcheck86, and virus scans, etc.

Post back and let us know what you might have done on this. I don't
think we're the only two who have been to the wall on this!

  • Re: WINDOWS XP WONT BOOT
    ... you can to a repair install but you cannot do it ... Now, if a retail disk doesn't work, you could install XP to a different ... When I rebooted, it told me to hit> any key to start CD ROM boot and then it went back into> the same old screen as I originally described. ... The disc I was using> was the Windows XP disc that came with my Dell but since I> bought it, the hard drive had to be changed and I now have ...
  • Repair Install cant find files.
    ... When I try to do a Windows XP Repair Install after booting from a Windows XP ... SP3 OEM CD, after it gets considerably into the repair installation, it ... Could this be a problem with file permissions or ownership? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP Wont Load
    ... but Windows did not start ... best I get now is a long list of files relating mainly to ... As a practical matter a Repair install of the OS is a relatively ... would strongly suggest that before undertaking this Repair install operation ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Since installing AD, server reboots every 2-3 days
    ... Windows Debugging Tools and take a look. ... what is causing the reboot. ... sense that the Repair install would have fixed the problem. ... Blue screens? ...
  • Re: WINDOWS XP WONT BOOT
    ... something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be forced to start ... actual XP CD as opposed to a recovery CD, boot with the XP ... Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. ... with the option to setup Windows or Repair Windows Installation ...