Re: Command prompt is displayed briefly, then disappears

The actual file in the System32 folder. Same problem occurs with regedit, by the way.

"Unknown" <unknown@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:jTVrl.2978$Lr6.2597@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Are you clicking on a shortcut or the actual file?
"BruceM" <bamoob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OHuNlicnJHA.504@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We have an IT person, not a department, and that person is stretched quite thin. Aside from that, their main task is maintaining the network. If the decision is to wipe the disk clean and reinstall I will most likely be the person who does that. If I can find out something that may help I will pass it along, because one way or the other I am the person who is most likely to be working on this.

"Pegasus" <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O2WpmLcnJHA.4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"BruceM" <bamoob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23MCvm2bnJHA.3984@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Pegasus" <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eqlpHfanJHA.864@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"BruceM" <bamoob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23xY2O2NnJHA.5412@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows XP Pro SP3. I am logged on to the machine as an Administrator. The problems I describe below were not problems until recently. I have installed Firefox and Thunderbird recently, but have made no other changes I can think of. Firefox is now my default browser, but I did not use Thunderbird, and just now uninstalled it.

The command prompt, including ipconfig, cannot be made to appear, or appears for at most a couple of seconds. Any of the following cause the Windows task bar to blank out for a few seconds, as if I had used the Task manager to shut down the explorer.exe process, except that the task bar returns:
Start >> Run >> cmd
Start >> Run >> cmd.exe
Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt
Locating cmd.exe in Windows\System32, and attempting to start it from there

In all cases it is the same whether I use Enter, click the OK button at Start >> Run, use the right click menu, or any other options I can think of.

When I go to Start >> Run and type ipconfig or ipconfig.exe and press Enter or click OK, I see a command prompt window for a few seconds at most (usually just a fraction of a second). Same thing when I try to run ipconfig.exe directly from System32.

For both cmd.exe and ipconfig.exe I have tried this syntax in the Run window:
%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe

I have searched for quite a while, but am now out of options.

I suspect that you fell victim to one of the many infamous "registry
cleaner". Most don't do anything useful at all; some will cause serious
damage to your machine.

I would attempt a System Restore to put Windows back to a point before you installed the "cleaner". If System Restore no longer works then a manual System Restore might fix the problem - see here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.
I tend to doubt the registry cleaner was the problem. As I have stated, I ran the registry cleaner. It found all sorts of "errors", then tried to get me to pay them. I did not, being suspicious of a product that misrepresents itself as free. Also, I questioned that there were so many errors in a system that had been generally OK. I did not actually have the registry cleaner do anything beyond the scan.

Since the problem occurred IT has worked on the computer. Among the things they did were to install a newer version of the antivirus program, and the Malwarebytes program. Will a SR undo these changes? BTW, I chose a restore option at the safe mode screen (restore to the last good configuration, or something like that), to no effect, before IT started working on it.BTW, I was curious as to whether cmd.exe is in the registry anywhere, so I attempt to run regedit, but that doesn't work either. Same symptoms as with cmd.exe (task bar disappears for a few seconds), then comes back, but nothing opens).

You must let your IT Department resolve the issue. It's no good having two completely independent cooks stir the same broth.

  • Re: Can this XP crash be saved?
    ... It turns out that the super duper registry cleaner did save all ... Why doesn't Windows know its paths anymore? ... And why can't I get that @#$$ System Restore started? ... Try an in-place (repair) installation and if the ...
  • Re: Command prompt is displayed briefly, then disappears
    ... Windows task bar to blank out for a few seconds, as if I had used the ... I would attempt a System Restore to put Windows back to a point before ... I tend to doubt the registry cleaner was the problem. ... things they did were to install a newer version of the antivirus program, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Command prompt is displayed briefly, then disappears
    ... Any of the following cause the Windows task bar to blank out for a few seconds, as if I had used the Task manager to shut down the explorer.exe process, except that the task bar returns: ... If System Restore no longer works then a manual System Restore might fix the problem - see here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545. ... I tend to doubt the registry cleaner was the problem. ... Among the things they did were to install a newer version of the antivirus program, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I Finally Found Myself a Christmas Present (Better Late Than Never)
    ... I downloaded and ran a Registry cleaner and it wiped out my ability ... I've many times used System Restore. ... operating systems. ... Windows, Windows 3.1, and Windows XP, and I think my ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Command prompt is displayed briefly, then disappears
    ... the Windows task bar to blank out for a few seconds, ... I would attempt a System Restore to put Windows back to a point before ... I tend to doubt the registry cleaner was the problem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)