Re: How to activate "Num Lock"?

chrbar wrote:
Hello,

For each logon (Ctrl-Alt-Del), and after when the session is opened, the numeric keypad is disactivated!
Workstations run Windows XP Pro SP3, on a NT Domain managed by a Windows Server 2003R2 SP2.

Do you know how to keep it activated?
Do I have to change something localy on the workstations or on the Domain Server (AD)?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Chris

By default, the NumLock key is turned off as WinXP starts, and keeps it off until someone logs in and initializes a user profile. WinXP will remember the NumLock's last state, meaning that if you log out with the NumLock on, it will automatically turn on the next time you log in; If you log out with the NumLock off, it will be off the next time you log in.

If one needs the NumLock on _before_ logging in, a registry edit can be used to change WinXP's default behavior:

How to Set the NUM LOCK State at Logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314879

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

  • RE: default domain display at logon
    ... the new domain, Windows XP does not. ... ADMT cannot change the default logon domain of the workstations. ...
  • smartcard authentication in Linux KDC realm
    ... Kerberos realm in Linux KDC from Windows ... 2000 workstations via smartcard logon. ... Windows workstations authenticating to the Kerberos realm, ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • another interactive logon problem
    ... Running SBS2003, 1 server running windows, exchange, IIS, file and print, ... 5 workstations. ... you to logon interactively" message. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How to activate "Num Lock"?
    ... For each logon, and after when the session is ... Windows Server 2003R2 SP2. ... Do I have to change something localy on the workstations or on the ... "How to Set the NUM LOCK State at Logon in Windows XP" ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: numlock @ logon
    ... my computer turns on the numlock light on my keyboard is on. ... However, when windows starts up and the logon screen comes on, the ... The NumLock key is usually only turned on before the user has logged into ...