Re: Problems with Touchpad,keyboard and USB after Ideacom update (

I think the penny has just dropped as i think what it is saying is install
the uli first then uninstal drivers and my mouse will not go off (by crash it
means my mouse will stop working )( but wont if i use uli first )

just smile back at me if i'm right ;-)then this one can close

"Zelator" wrote:

By the way also i have got the alps divice showing in device manager but it
is hidden with a question mark ............and also a hidden none USB device
with a question mark (serial ) but this one has no option for a driver (i'm
guessing this is keyboard issue having to standby then bring out of standby
to keep it working .It is working untill i press a key then it goes off
.....because the fn lights up when i press it .)

"Zelator" wrote:

WOW is all i got to say ;-) right i'll do my best .

What i got is a Equium M50-192
PSM59E
I down loaded from Toshiba europe driver support downloads under archived .

After installing all downloads i had no ! on any .....but i still had no
touchpad even seemingly instaled anywhere on laptop......and i had to do the
standby thing to make the keyboard work .

So i used the program DRIVER DETECTIVE and it showed that 9 of my drivers
were out of date ...............so i installed them all except the one that
says no device found (when i open the readme file in that update it says the
trick is to uninstall the drivers first before updating with this one ).
I just find it strange that it is the USB +touchpad+keyboard things that are
playing up .............and that is what Driver detective is saying needs
updated .

So am i right in that you are saying open the updated file i have saved to
desk top and within that file is a load of other files with one that says
driver setup (this is the one that says cannot setup because other drivers
are installed ) but the read me says to set up the Uli thing first in case
system crashes (thats the bit that scares me lol ) .
But it is still leaving me with the problem that i cannot uninstall present
drivers for this because my mouse goes off and i cannot update the new
drivers then .

I'm probably sounding as dumb as i feel but i'm usually quit competent with
all this its just that without the ability to move the cursor i'm stumped
..............could i access it from my other laptop also a Toshiba but with
Vista onit .

By the way thanks alot for your time i realy appreciate it and just wish i
could give more detail .

"Paul" wrote:

Zelator wrote:
I have Equium M50 (59E) and got bitten by an update that took out my touchpad
and keyboard .I have made fresh install of XP Home and have all updated
drivers and all is going well .The last update i cant seem to fathom is for
Driver Ana _2005_10_24_V1.2 it is for ,Standard Open HCD USB Host
Controller........X 2 .........

The update fixes all kinds of issues of the kind i am having and is a
recomended update from Driver detective ,that i use offten .

The trouble is it says to uninstall drivers for the one i have installed
allready and when i do this it knocks off my USB mouse leaving me not able to
install the new ones .When i reboot it installs the ones i dont want
reinstalled .

This is the read me off the new update and realy it is beyond me to
underdstand what to do ............so here it is ?

"Twinhan VP704A Driver Release note"

http://driveragent.com/archive/10277/2-0-19

And here is the readme from the other file within the update ?

http://driveragent.com/archive/10277/13-0-53

The actual archive 10277 contents are shown here. This will make it
easier for others to understand what you're talking about.

http://driveragent.com/archive/10277#preview

CAN ANYONE TREAT ME LIKE A TWO YEAR OLD AND GIVE SOME GUIDANCE AS TO HOW TO
ACHIEVE THIS UPDATE .

i WOULD BE VERY GRATEFULL AND KIND OF THINK IT WOULD BE BENIFICIAL TO A LOT
MORE PEOPLE AS I SEE A LOT OF XP AND PROBLEMS OF THE KIND THIS UPDATE IS
SUPPOSED TO FIX .

*******

You say you have a Toshiba Equium M50 (59E). Toshiba calls them Equium
in Europe and calls them Satellite elsewhere. I seem to see references
to things like M50-244, so it would seem they use a number for the
sub-model. I haven't found any reference to 59E, which might stand for
"59 Europe".

I would have started with a Toshiba website, such as csd.toshiba.com,
if I could find the model of the computer there. As it is, I have no
place to start.

It would really help a lot, to know what Northbridge and Southbridge
the computer uses. Since I am unable to find the model using ordinary
web searches, I cannot find out this information. You have the computer
in front of you, could use Belarc Advisor or Everest Free Home edition
or other tools, to get some information. The following is my guess...

In terms of your chipset, I think the inside of your computer has an
unfortunate combination of silicon. It likely uses an ATI Xpress Northbridge
and a ULI Southbridge (M1575 ???). There was a point in time, where ATI didn't
have a Southbridge ready, to go with their new Northbridge. They used one
from ULI. As you can imagine, this muddies the driver support issue.
ATI is responsible for providing a driver, but the chip itself
comes from ULI. The worst thing that happened, was Nvidia (direct
competitor of ATI), bought ULI Corporation and crushed them. No
more ULI branded products are produced and ULI no longer exists.

http://www.techreport.com/discussions/8201

This is the Twinhan driver that you quote. It has enough files
to do an INF style install, which means there is no Add/Remove
option later. So a bad idea.

http://www.twinhan.com/files/AW/BDA%20Driver/Other%20Models/DriverAna_2005_10_24_V1.28_WHQL.zip

Now, if I go here, and download "integrated 220" at the top,
it lists M1575 and USB. Yet, when I look inside, the support
of M1575 is less certain.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_drivers.html

This is the file I downloaded.

http://http.download.nvidia.com/ULi/ULi_Integrated220.zip

In the USB20 folder of that download, are things similar to the
TwinHan directory. The AliEhci.inf mentions "VEN_10B9&DEV_5239".
I compare that to the master list of available PCI device info.
It does indeed seem to be a USB2 controller.

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

10b9 ALi Corporation (Acer labs --> ALI --> ULI --> Nvidia)
5239 USB 2.0 Controller

Now, a word about USB2 (Enhanced Host Controller Interface). Before
WinXP SP1, they were in the process of developing a driver for
USB2 hardware. When SP1 was officially released, Microsoft revoked
the license of hardware manufacturers, to release USB2 drivers for
their hardware. This means, that Microsoft took responsibility.
The idea was, that any customer that wanted a USB2 driver, would
get it by installing SP1. That means, if your WinXP installer
disc is SP1, SP2, or SP3, in theory you get a USB2 driver, a standard
one delivered by Microsoft.

The hardware manufacturers make register-compatible USB2 hardware,
and the Microsoft driver magically runs on top of it. That is called
"the beauty of standards". No more grubbing for drivers.

And this means, if you have a WinXP SP1 or later installer CD, the
standard driver *should* be present.

You could check Device Manager, and look for an Enhanced entry in the
Universal Serial Bus Controllers section. Then, check to see what
driver files are installed. If there is something already there, like
usbehci.sys, usbhub.sys, usbport.sys and the like, then chances
are you already have a driver.

If, on the other hand, you've installed whatever Service Pack you
intend to run (SP1, SP2, or SP3), and there is a yellow mark in
Device Manager, for VEN_10B9&DEV_5239, then that means somehow
the standard driver does not cover your hardware. (And that is
hard to believe.)

I tried looking through the contents of my i386 folder (the one
WinXP installer uses). It has 5000 files, and many are compressed.
By decompressing a few .IN_ (compressed INF files), I could look
to see what hardware was supported. I did find VEN_10B9&DEV_5237,
which is a ULI USB 1.1 controller, but not the USB 2 controller.
I don't understand how a Service Pack incorporates newer hardware,
and expect that is why I cannot find it. Microsoft probably has
included it, but I don't understand the mechanism used to update
the files on the computer during the install.

In summary

1) Check Device Manager. Have an "Enhanced" entry in the USB
section at the bottom ? Do the listed drivers for that device
make sense ? Then you don't need a driver. It is already installed.

2) If you've exhausted all other possibilities, then and only then,
should you contemplate using "ULi_Integrated220.zip". And if you
do choose to use that one, there is probably a screen with
tick boxes, to select driver components. Only tick the USB one!
You don't want more trouble than you've already got. Typically,
with an installer like this, you should have an entry in Add/Remove
to remove it later.

HTH,
Paul

.