Re: wuaueng.dll high CPU and Disk Usage

The wuaueng.dll version is 7.1.6001.65

Turning off windows update does solve the immediate issue of high CPU usage.
To experiment, I tried various settings (notify... download...etc.), and
with every one except disable, the problem occurs.

Our IT group recently installed a new firewall with semi-disastrous results,
however they seem to have it under control now. I have not been able to find
anyone else who seems to be having this issue, and we all share the same
connection and firewall.

The article you mentioned shows WAU 3.0 update. Is this a newer version
than what I already have? How do I find out?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

Locate wuaueng.dll in %windir%\system32, right click it, choose
Properties, click the Version tab.
Which V. is it, John ?
The latest one is V. 7.2.6001.788

Is a 3rd party firewall being used ? If so, the high CPU issue *may* be
occurring due to the firewall blocking the Windows Update Agent [WUA]
from contacting the update servers, thus, diabling AU will resolve the
CPU issue, but not be needed to resolve this issue.

AFAIK, high CPU issues associated with the WUA were *never* caused by
wuaueng.dll, rather, the issue was caused by thread modeling involving
the WUA and msi.dll -

" The updated Windows Client changes the thread modeling to move MSI
scans to a thread that is separate from the user interface. "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

John Gregory wrote:

It took a while to sort out, the Automatic Update menu was greyed out, and I
had to find the correct registry keys to fix.

Disabling the AU seems to be working, the computer started up and ran

Thank you for your help.

"Ron Badour" wrote:

Go to the Control Panel, Automatic Updates and try turning it off. If this
cures the problem, then turn it back on to see if the problem returns. If
it does, then go with manual versus automatic updates.


Ron Badour
Windows Desktop Experience

"John Gregory" <JohnGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I have a laptop, IBM T-60 with Windows XP, SP2 that has been nonresponsive
after startup.

On further investigation, I found that svchost is at 100% CPU, with
wuaueng.dll being the actual culprit. If I let this service continue to
it peaks out at around 3.5 to 4 Gb of disk I/O read bytes.

I have tried several of the published fixes for this, stopping the
renaming or erasing the folder, etc. but it keeps coming back with the

Is there a way to kill this without damaging the system?


Relevant Pages

  • high CPU
    ... we have XP SP3 with 7.1.6001.65 on 1000 Clients and have troubles with high CPU utilization. ... when enroll KB949104 Version 7.2.6001.788 on windows update ...
  • RE: ERROR 0x80072F76 SOLUTION
    ... Alpha Shield to protect when disabling ZA. ... am able to get through error 0x80072F76 and access windows update WITHOUT ... I found that DISABLING NORTON ANTIVIRUS ... Close all instances of Internet Explorer. ...
  • Re: cannot use Win Update 0x8DDD0004 hell
    ... Manager shows the web-browser as 'Running' but it has to be shut down from ... Now if I try and access the Windows Update Site, I get a frozen web page ... Tried downloading and re-installing Win Updater per instructions on this ... I have played with disabling Norton's Firewall. ...
  • List of required win2k services for the new Windows Update
    ... post for those in the same boat, trying to get Windows Update to run. ... I am aware that disabling services may cause things to break with no ... Note that the new installer will want to install something (as a critical ... But it IS an optional, spyware component, dressed as a critical update. ...
  • Re: I disabled Windows Update once & for all
    ... Changing from MS Update to Windows Update solved indeed my problem. ... I will report here about the outcome - I ow you that much! ... support is supposed to be free of charge. ... Can you experiment with disabling some third-party startup applications to ...