Re: How to force download a with Automatic Updates?

The date and time was Friday, January 16, 2009 7:26:41 AM, and on a whim, Frank Slootweg pounded out on the keyboard:

Not for me in MU. They are all listed there. I install manually on systems all the time, and I can check those at any time. If you get the "Succeeded" notation at the end of an update, it will be available to view in the history.

Hmmm! The update I manually installed is not listed in Windows Update
and not in Microsoft Update.

BUT, I manually installed only *one* update, and perhaps it was a
special case.

I intentionally used an 'innocent' update, because this was my first
manual installation of an update, i.e. I did not want to try an
important one like a Security Update for Windows XP.

The update which I manually installed was:

Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)

File windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x86-intl.exe.

The update *is* listed in "Add or Remove Programs" with "Show updates"
ticked. BUT, it is listed as:

Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)

Perhaps a hotfix or/and the Windows Media Format 11 SDK are an
exception?

Anyway, over time, I will keep an eye on this and see whether or not
other manually installed updates are listed by MU or/and WU. I have an
old XP machine to play with, so I can keep my regular travel
mini-notebook 'clean'.

Don't know about the name change. Maybe just check for the KB number instead.

Take care Frank,

--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***

  • Re: How to force download a with Automatic Updates?
    ... Today I tried a manual installation of the updates. ... One - "Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP ... However losing the easy access to my update history, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Media Format 9 SDK cant be downloaded from MSDN
    ... AlexandreF wrote: ... > I absolutely need to support Windows 2000 and have ... > been unable to download Windows Media Format 9 SDK from ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.sdk)
  • RE: "Attempted to read or write protected memory" with GetScriptCo
    ... Problem solved after including the whole wrapper WMFSDKFunctions.cs coming ... WMFSDKFunctions.cs which comes with Windows Media Format 11 SDK. ... memory" exception mentioned earlier on "headerInfo.GetScriptCount(out ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.sdk)
  • Windows Media Format 9 SDK cant be downloaded from MSDN
    ... I've been asked to add WMF file support to an application but noticed ... that Windows Media Format 9.5 SDK only support XP. ... been unable to download Windows Media Format 9 SDK from MSDN (page is ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.sdk)
  • Re: DVD protect
    ... You need to download the Windows Media Format 9.5 SDK ... Then, when you install it, search in the help for DRM. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)