Re: compress drive to save space

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:18:14 +0800, "Menikos" <menikos88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hello

I refer to the C drive Properties where there is an item under the General
tab for compressing drive to save disk space. Upon checking this, the popup
says to choose between Apply changes to C:\ only or Apply changes to C:\,
subfolders and files.

I was wondering if choosing either would affect any active programmes in
that drive.

Thanks for the advice.

Read John John's reply, and also note the following:

1. Compressing drives is generally bad for performance.

2. A disk problem on an uncompressed drive usually leads to the loss
of a single file. But a disk problem on a compressed drive can lead to
the loss of everything on the drive.

3. Considering points 1 and 2 above, and considering that large drives
are very inexpensive these days, compressing to save disk space is a
poor bargain. If you are short of disk space, I recommend buying and
installing a second drive or a replacement drive instead.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: HP_RECOVERY(D) does not have enough disc space.
    ... drive off and decreased the disk space usage from 12% to 2% ... reduces the number or restore ... Go to this web site and download the registry fix from the left ... Keep in mind that this will turn off the warning for all drives ...
  • Re: deleting files and programs in My Documents
    ... I knnow about acndisk but deleting all the temp ... have kilobytes of) with "disk space" (the thing you probably have ... reduce the amount used for System ... Fortunately larger hard drives ...
  • Re: deleting files and programs in My Documents
    ... I knnow about acndisk but deleting all the temp ... have kilobytes of) with "disk space" (the thing you probably have ... reduce the amount used for System ... Fortunately larger hard drives ...
  • Re: Low disk space
    ... this should not be a great impact on disk space. ... System Restore (setting in System properties) and Recycle Bin ... recovery programs expecting a ... certain size drives or some other odd twist added by the OEM's customized ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Paging File on Second HDD
    ... drives on my other PC, one of which is not being used, and that's the one ... What it achieves is to give you more disk space and makes use of a ... spare hard disk that otherwise would not be used. ... CleanUp, More Options, System Restore and remove all but the latest ...