Re: compress drive to save space

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:18:14 +0800, "Menikos" <menikos88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hello

I refer to the C drive Properties where there is an item under the General
tab for compressing drive to save disk space. Upon checking this, the popup
says to choose between Apply changes to C:\ only or Apply changes to C:\,
subfolders and files.

I was wondering if choosing either would affect any active programmes in
that drive.

Thanks for the advice.

Read John John's reply, and also note the following:

1. Compressing drives is generally bad for performance.

2. A disk problem on an uncompressed drive usually leads to the loss
of a single file. But a disk problem on a compressed drive can lead to
the loss of everything on the drive.

3. Considering points 1 and 2 above, and considering that large drives
are very inexpensive these days, compressing to save disk space is a
poor bargain. If you are short of disk space, I recommend buying and
installing a second drive or a replacement drive instead.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
.