Re: How delete 'Read Only' files from CD-RW's

"Imageman" <Imageman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Vista 64bit / XP Professional SP3

I don't remember this being a problem in the past, but at the moment I
can't change the attributes of, or get rid of 'Read Only' files on my
CD-RW's.

If the CD-RWs have been written using conventional writing utilities
(including XP's built in utility) in CDFS format, then this is correct
behaviour. Individual files cannot be altered or deleted (including
attributes). The only way of deleting anything is to completely erase the
whole disk.

I haven't succeeded deleting, erasing or formatting with Vista or XP OS,
or with Nero. Is there a way, or a utility to do this? Thanks for your
help, IM

The option to erase a CD-RW should be offered in the 'System Tasks' pane at
the left hand side of the folder display whenever a non blank CD-RW is
inserted (in XP) or on the tool bar near the top (in Vista). Nero in all
its guises also offers the option to erase a disc on its editing screen (the
one where you add the files for burning). Nero will also offer you the
opportunity to erase the disc if you try to write to a non empty disc
(mainly because it doesn't support multisession writing unless you import an
existing project image first).

If the CD-RW has been written using a Packet Writing utility (such as Nero's
In-CD) then it is treated much like any other disc drive and files can be
individually erased and attributes changed. I don't think yours is written
this way though.

  • Re: Delete files from a CD-RW
    ... be modified once written - all one can do is erase the entire CD, ... I can't see to find out how to delete a file off a CD-RW, ... but it won't display the files in the CD creator folder so I ... How do I add a file to a disc without destroying whats on it at the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: CD ROM
    ... earlier post there are good free programs as well as retail programs. ... to "Erase This CD-RW". ... could not erase it I would give it a try. ... the disc to another folder but was unable to do that either. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Whats the story on CD-RW
    ... When I insert an already-used disc, an Explorer window pops up, ... and the file menu offers "Erase this CD-RW". ... When I go to My Computer, Explorer shows my G: drive as a CD-RW Drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: CD ROM
    ... I knew I could not delete a CD-RW but thought since I ... the disc to another folder but was unable to do that either. ... If you have a writer that supports the CD-RW format, you can erase the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: erasing a cd-rw
    ... > Looking at the help files, I am told that to erase a CD-RW so ... > and under 'Writing Tasks' I will find the 'Erase this CD-RW ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)