Remote desktop typing wrong keys

I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 system that seems to re-map the keyboard from a standard QWERTY US 101 keyboard to the strange one displayed in the enclosed jpg. This occurs AFTER login, because I am able to type both the username and password without problems. Rebooting the remote system did not solve the problem, and the same wrong keyboard mapping occurs when connecting from a Vista Ultimate SP1 laptop (numlock was not the cause of the problem) as well as an ancient Windows 2000 Pro SP4 desktop. I need to fix this ASAP, since using the onscreen keyboard is killing my productivity!