Re: IE7 Information Bar missing

Any particular reason why you feel NIS might be the problem? I've been
running it for six months now, and SP3 for two. Why would it suddenly cause
me problems? (And not on my other two PCs?) Unfortunately, the company I work
for requires one of the "big name" AV tools, so going long-term with Avira
isn't an option. But I will try it when I have time to see if NIS is causing
the problem.

In the meantime, I just uninstalled Google Toolbar again, and my original
problem - missing "Open in new tab" on right-click menu - reappeared.
Figures. It comes back when I reinstall GT.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I presume you have no anti-syware applications installed and that the
behavior persisted after you uninstalled Google Toolbar.

1. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall all
Norton software (including LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons) via Add/Remove
Programs.

2. Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #XX below until your anti-virus
application has been installed and fully updated!

3. Run this removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

4. Reboot and /immediately/ install Avira AntiVir* (free):
http://www.free-av.com/

5. Manually update your new anti-virus application then run a full system
scan.

Do your problems persist now?

[Should you decide to uninstall AntiVir and reinstall NIS 2008, I recommend
not installing any Norton Add-ons for a while.]
--
~PA Bear

Glenn Morgan wrote:
I've been running Norton Internet Security 2008 (up-to-date), which
provides
both anti-virus and software firewall, since around February, well before
installing SP3. I also occasionally run AdAware, but haven't for a while
now.

The only other things that I can think of that have changed recently is I
uninstalled Roxio Easy-something-or-other, installed a new DVD writer
(can't
see that doing anything, but you never know), and uninstalled and
reinstalled Google Toolbar (one of the possible solutions to this
problem -
didn't help).

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
firewall
(if any)? Are any of these applications new since you installed WinXP
SP3?

Glenn Morgan wrote:
Yes, it still does not bring up the info bar in No Add-ons mode.

I had already done the RIES at some point, but I just did it again.
Still
no
ActiveX info bar.

Thanks for the link on uninstalling XPSP3 before uninstalling IE7. I've
been
running IE7 for many months and I upgraded to XPSP3 a couple of months
ago.
I hadn't had any problems until this past weekend when I reset the
security
and privacy options.

By the way, it seems to be only the ActiveX info bar that isn't
appearing.
The Pop-up Blocked info bar is appearing after trying Carey's
suggestion.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons;
or

Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No
add-ons).

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all
third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does
this behavior persist? If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs!]

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/11/IE7-Installation-and-Anti_2D00_Malware-Applications.aspx

4. Required reading IMHO before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12,
then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx as the

Direct Download link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9ae91ebe-3385-447c-8a30-081805b2f90b

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend
installing
it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

====================

IMPORTANT! => IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

====================

Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
seek
support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

In your newsreader:
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Glenn Morgan wrote:
[Cross-posted from Setup & Deployment]
A couple of days ago, I noticed that the "Open in new tab" option was
missing from the right-click menu for links on one of my PCs. One of
the
suggested solutions was to apply the defaults for security and privacy
options. When I applied these options, the information bar stopped
appearing, meaning I now can't run ActiveX when prompted, as I don't
see
the prompt.

I have tried the following suggestions to resolve this, but nothing
has
worked so far:
- adjusting Tools/Internet Options/Security (Automatic Prompting etc.)
- OLEFix
and probably others that I can't remember. I don't want to leave me
system
at a low security level, but I also want the option of running ActiveX
when
I need to (e.g. Windows Update).

Any other suggestions?

WinXP SP3, IE7, latest updates applied

  • Re: Publisher 200 DISASTER
    ... uninstall and reinstall of Publisher might be required. ... From what I have read about IE7, ... installing IE7; scanner failed to work, and a couple of programs crashed ... If you also wish to NOT use IE7 and you have Windows Update set to auto ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: Internet Explorer 7 (What started my confusion, recap)
    ... I can only assume you were running Sp2, IE6 installed IE7, reinstalled ... However if all is well then you can up date XP Sp2 by installing Sp3. ... If you will take your time and reread these threads in this newsgroup ... the only thing left is to uninstall IE7 and reinstall it, ...
  • Re: installing ni-845x causes VI-Logger to fail with USB-6009 and 9211
    ... so perhaps my original problem ... After installing the 8451 (NI-845x software for windows Ver ... but the uninstall had removed the DLL that I ...
    (comp.lang.labview)
  • Re: Exchange 2003 SP2 & Internet Explorer 7 Compatibility?
    ... Uninstall Microsoft Internet Explorer 7? ... If you have chosen Firefox 2, then you may want to uninstall IE7. ... installing and running Exchange 2003 SP2? ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Internet Explorer 7 (made some progress)
    ... Was this machine once running the Windows Vista OS and then when chasing down the problem of script errors on web pages someone determined that only Vista could be the cause of the issue and then XP was reinstalled? ... I uninstalled IE7 and reloaded it and still had the ... I would _uninstall_ IE7 again, through the control panel then do my OS ...