Re: Downgrade from Vista to XP Procedure

If I understand correctly. THe XP CD and COA Key can be from any system as
long as the key matches the Media? For example they can use a license and
media from a system they purchased a few years ago that may still be in use?
The XP key is only needed to install XP the activation will actually be done
with the vista key?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

How to downgrade:

Install a copy of Windows XP Professional with the product key that
came with the copy, and then when you hit the activation screen -- which
is near the end of the installation process -- select the activate by phone
option rather than the online method. You'll likely end up talking with
a live rep; tell him that you're downgrading from Vista to XP, and give
him the Vista product key. The rep is supposed to walk you through the rest.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ross" <Ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:CA8BA23A-7C8F-4F76-915E-DADC9088A6B3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Carey,

Are steps 1-4 Correct?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

OEM versions of any Windows version, including Vista,
requires a "clean install".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience -
Windows Vista Enthusiast

"Ross" <Ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:D0577530-0A51-44CE-AE1C-8075C342D2B5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We are the OEM and Build custom systems for re-sale.
Can someone please confirm the downgrade procedure. Here is what I
understand.

1. Customer will purchase Vista Business with License (OEM)
2. XP-Pro is to be installed with any Media and License (Already used COA)
3. XP willnot activate becasue its been activated before on different
hardware.
4. Call Microsoft and they will get it activated over the phone.

If the above is correct then what does the customer do in a couple of years
when they want to inststall Vista, because the Vista OEM will not install as
an upgrade. Does this mean the user must save data, then format and install
vista Business OEM, and re-laod all apps?

I'm confused

Ross

  • Re: Video Error
    ... Media Center with the installled decoder on October 8th and I can still run ... Vista Ultimate and Vista Premium but not with Vista Business or with Vista ... With RC2 I was able to install the WinTV2K Hauppauge application in XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Interrupted download SP1 for Vista Business - fix error too!
    ... Right now I can't ever see Vista running even half-properly. ... install SP1? ... MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002 ... Are you attempting to install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Interrupted download SP1 for Vista Business - fix error too!
    ... Once you get the BSOD issues sorted and if you're still having problems installing Vista SP1 via Windows Update, open a free support incident. ... MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002 ... Are you attempting to install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows 7 upgrade
    ... I just purchased a new computer and I am debating on whether to install XP ... Vista Enterprise which I received from work in a brand new box. ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience ... Please Reply to the Newsgroup ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Video Error
    ... I installed Vista Ultimate RC2 on October 7th and started running Vista ... Media Center with the installled decoder on October 8th and I can still run ... With RC2 I was able to install the WinTV2K Hauppauge application in XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)