Re: emachines w3107 question

On Jun 18, 6:29 am, dedmunne <dedmunne.29ea...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My girlfriend has left this comp running 24/7and we've had the comp. for
about 2 years with no problems until yesterday when a storm knocked out
the electricity and ALL that appears on the screen now is this
MediaShield ROM BIOS 6.33
Copyright (C) 2005 NVIDIA Corp.
Detecting array ...

She rebooted several times and a couple of times " Windows
root\system32\hal.dll. is missing " appeared on the screen .
We first tried the "Recovery Disc" that came with the comp. and tried
both the "Destructive" repair and the "with Back-up" repair options to
no avail and now when you reboot the only thing on the screen besides
the  eMachines logo is
BOOT Menu F10
BIOS Settings F2

Better computer manufacturers provide comprehensive hardware
diagnostics for free just for this problem. Currently, you are trying
to fix everything at once rather than break the problem into parts;
address hardware separately without Windows.

For example, a missing .DLL file might be a Windows problem. Kernel
Inpage error message implies hardware. System now booting only BIOS
and not Windows - either. Executing hardware diagnostic verifies
hardware without the complication of Windows - simplifies a solution
by analyzing hardware without Windows complications.

So download diagnostics from third parties. For example, a memory
checker (MemTst86) can be downloaded and booted. But what can you
boot that system from now that Windows does not boot. Memtst86
normally would boot from a floppy. A responsible manufacturer would
provide complete diagnostics to boot from a CD. Could you load and
boot Memtst86 from a memory stick? You must do this to first
establish where the defect lies.

Repeat same for hard disk. Download and boot that diagnostic from
the hard drive manufacturer.

Another approach is to verify various subsystems. For example, all
those strange problems could be due to a power supply 'system'
problem. Yes, every one of those previous error messages can be
traceable to voltages that exist and are too low. Thirty second with
a multimeter would provide the complete answer. Measure VDC on any
one of orange, red, purple, and yellow wires when system should be
booting. If numbers exceed 3.23, 4.97, or 11.7, then that subsystem
is perfectly good - move on to other suspects.

Each suggestion has a common theme. Break the problem into parts.
Establish which parts do or do not work - definitively. This occurs
so much faster if the manufacturer provided comprehensive hardware
diagnostics. Once hardware integrity is known, only then move on to
address potential Windows problems. However, based upon your various
error messages, this is probably a hardware failure; each message
pointing at completely different hardware which is why a power supply
'system' is also suspect.

Why did failure occur? A useful answer is only after the defect is
identified.

  • Re: Windows wont boot. Need help.
    ... I'm planning to buy another hard disk, install Windows on it and copy the data from the old hard ... Run the DRIVE MANUFACTURER'S diagnostics, downloaded from the mfr's web site, on the hard drive. ... Also run HDAT2, a free download, to examine the SMART data on the drive. ... The computer will only boot in safe mode and software can't be installed in safe mode. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: 2 PCs not starting up properly nor shutting down
    ... Other hardware in the PC that failed first were an AGP card, ... Trying to fix Windows when hardware integrity is unknown ... Just another reason why shotgunning can so complicate a ... Diagnostics and voltages are facts and numbers then empower the more ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Windows wont boot. Need help.
    ... I'm planning to buy another hard disk, install Windows on it and copy the data from the old hard ... Run the DRIVE MANUFACTURER'S diagnostics, downloaded from the mfr's web site, on the hard drive. ... The computer will only boot in safe mode and software can't be installed in safe mode. ... You need a version of SeaTools that is self-booting and runs under DOS. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: emachines w3107 question
    ... you use the PC and does boot time matter to you. ... a computer "Fully Awake & Running" consumes power similar to ... She rebooted several times and a couple of times " Windows ... Better computer manufacturers provide comprehensive hardware ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to disable UTC time?
    ... Yesterday I did a hardware cleanup and almost attempted suicide when my ... pc refused to boot afterwards. ... And what should people do that don't use Windows, ... and UTC here is not wrong in any way. ...
    (Debian-User)