RE: Generic USB mouse and Keyboard not recognized

Possibly a problem with the Motherboard, check the USB connections to the
motherboard.

"Scott T." wrote:

Hi.

I have numerous Dell Optiplex desktops running XP. Recently, I've been
having a problem with the USB ports.

These are new computers. They are all setup with the same programs and
setttings. We've done about 30 computers in the past year or two and we just
started having the problem recently.

We setup the computer the way we need and somewhere along the way the USB
ports get messed up. All of a sudden the computer stops recognizing a basic
Dell USB keyboard or mouse. When we plug one in we get the New Hardware
Wizard. We run that, but XP says it can't find the driver. These are the
free keyboards and
mice that come with the computers.

What's more, if we go into Add Printer, all of the resident print drivers
are gone. They were definitely there at the beginning. It seems like
Windows loses it's connection to the USB drivers resident in the OS.

The USB ports do function as they will recognize a USB flash drive. The
keyboard functions in BIOS.

We can't figure out when this is happening. Most of the time we get the
computers fully setup and ready for install without a problem. Something is
happening along the way. The crazy thing is we haven't changed the way we
setup systems. We follow a written set of instructions.

We've done virus scans and found nothing. Dell is of no help either.

Any ideas?

  • Re: Network setup
    ... I want to use a USB Cable to connect the units as ... I would consider an internet setup to make ... You can install a wireless USB adapter on each of the laptops, ... be able to both share folders and internet connectivity between all 3 computers. ...
  • Re: Questions about Migrating from workgroup environment to new SBS2K3 domain
    ... Once I've copied all the docs across via the USB and joined the computers to ... logon) to their documents folder in the Company share? ... >> manually move the \\workstation3\Docs folder to the SBS server first? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Generic USB mouse and Keyboard not recognized
    ... a support analyst at Dell headquarters. ... System Setup screen? ... We've done about 30 computers in the past year or two and we just ... We setup the computer the way we need and somewhere along the way the USB ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: About USB hard drives and errors
    ... for a USB solution. ... experiencing disk errors on the drives which caused something in the ... My reading about eSATA gives me suspicion that it has its own poorly ... This is for a LAN of desktop systems, three computers in all. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Computer problem
    ... (This computer, as all my music computers have been, was custom built by ... We live in a post-Stuxnet world - USB is definitely in the mix ... hard drives, cameras, etc., are plugged into the 'onboard' USB ports ... external hard drive gets its power from the USB). ...
    (rec.audio.pro)