Re: Reinstall XP or repair?

netjes wrote:

I recently cleaned a lot of crap and useless files from my hard drive.
Everything is great, except my internet connection is not as good as it
was. Some programs cannot connect to the internet, while others work just
fine
(for example, IE works, but Firefox does not). How can I restore the
internet connection so that all the programs connect?

Well, it's obvious that not all those files you removed were as useless as
you thought. Since we don't know what you did, it's hard to give you
focused help.

Here are various things you can try. When troubleshooting, always do one
thing at a time and test before going onto the next thing (if necessary).

1. If you used a registry cleaner (strongly not recommended to do), then use
its Undo feature and undo whatever it was you did.

2. If you manually removed files, try and remember what they were and put
them back.

3. Since you can still connect to the Internet, we know you didn't remove
the adapter drivers. First try fixing the winsock:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

4. If that doesn't work, reset TCP/IP:

Start>Run>cmd [enter]
netsh int ip reset [log_file_name] and press Enter. To run the command
successfully, you must specify a log file name where actions taken by netsh
will be recorded, such as:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

The system pauses for up to a minute while the TCP/IP stack is reset. The
cursor returns but no message is displayed. At the cmd prompt, type: exit
[enter] to return to Windows. Reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q299357&ID=KB;EN-US;Q299357

5. If that doesn't help, run the System File Checker to replace
missing/damaged system files:

Start>Run>sfc /scannow [enter]

6. If that doesn't help, do a Repair Install:

7. If that doesn't help, back up your data and do a clean install.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Reinstalling_Windows - What
you will need on-hand

Consider purchasing an external hard drive and an imaging program such as
Acronis True Image for quick and easy restoration the next time you decide
to get wild with the housekeeping. ;-)

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

  • Re: Giving Up on Updates
    ... I have SP1 and SP2 installed from the Microsoft cds but I cannot install ... KB834707 due to the problem with my internet connection being reset. ... >> that when I try to download again, it does not start completely over. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: Unable to connect to Internet.
    ... netsh ip reset resetlog.txt ... > My friend has given me his PC to be repaired. ... > using cable modem. ... but no internet connection is possible yet. ...
  • Re: Memtest86+ is always right? So it must be a software problem
    ... Possible, but some other settings were reset, such as ACHI vs IDE for the hard drive. ... If you boot the computer, have an Internet connection, ... instead choosing to use the old draining method. ... Yes maybe the reset only affects parts of the BIOS, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • update issue
    ... After Thursday's update I found I had no internet connection. ... investigation it turned out that the firewall had been reset to prevent ... Re-installing the rules via firestarter solved the problem. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • XP Activation Advice
    ... Everything works fine apart from the internet connection that displays the ... to do a clean install as I have a pile of software to reinstall if I do. ... Can anyone tell me how I can get the Activation Wizard to open? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)