Re: Why does my Windows mouse pointer become a 4-way scroll arrow?

JPCMISC wrote:

This is annoying thing #2 in my Windows environment, is also something that started happening fairly recently (late last year I think):
As I work in Windows, my mouse pointer--that nice little white arrow--turns into a black 4-way arrow pointing N-S-E-W. It still appears to function the exact same way, but trying to work with it is, well, annoying. Because it stays there no matter what application I'm running or no matter what the context.

I can't get back to the default mouse pointer until I reboot or go into my Control Panel->Mouse->Pointers dialog and unselect and reselect "Windows Default (system scheme)". Until I do so, the "Customize:" list for the default scheme shows this same 4-way arrow for all modes (Normal, Help, Working in Background, Busy, etc).

What's going on??? What is telling Windows to change my default mouse scheme?
JP

Not a Windows XP "standard" pointer. Just when did this pointer started
to appear, such as after visiting a new website or after downloading a
file or installing a map program, for instance? Might want to consider
running anti-malware, anti-spyware and anti-spyware programs to check
for unwanted files.

  • Unchecked Buffer in PowerCFG.CPL and PowerCFG.EXE on Windows XP SP3
    ... new power management profile scheme with a name of greater than 32 ... Windows XP SP3 ... Note above command fails to enumerate the new scheme. ... Management Settings, to allow a client to reduce their carbon footprint ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Display options
    ... You should have Windows and Buttons dialog box where you can select "Windows ... Also "Color Scheme" dialog box to select from. ... Anyways I'm trying to mimic her display settings in XP SP2 to be just like ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: System Sounds
    ... except the normal Windows sounds scheme doesn't work. ... control panel sounds section the play button is grayed out. ... Audio Devices--Change The Sound Scheme. ... The system sounds require a functioning *default* audio device. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.music)
  • Re: How to change Office 2003 colors in Vista Ultimate?
    ... try setting up a new Windows user login, and see if Office 2003 displays correctly for the new user. ... Notice that all use the aero glass display. ... > the Windows XP color scheme. ... > In my new Vista Ultimate system the machine color scheme is set to> Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: How to change Office 2003 colors in Vista Ultimate?
    ... try setting up a new Windows user login, ... and Notepad... ... Notice that all use the aero glass display. ... the Windows XP color scheme. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)