Re: "Lost" MS Word.....

Hi again Dave, and I'm glad we've come to an end as it really was getting
out of hand. I think if we were allowed to use HTML we could've cut the
length of this thread to at least half. I'm aware of what it means to use
caps, but thought I'd make an exception because it was too difficult to wade
through so much without HTML and I did let you know at the beginning. :o)

Thanks for the summary, and as mentioned earlier, I'll do nothing until I
hear from MS.

Also thanks for the idea of modifying my email addy. I'll do that.

Again, I wish you and yours Joyful Holidays and a Healthy and Happy New
Year! :o) Adela

"Daave" <dcwashNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Adela wrote:
Hi Daave, may I answer under each question all in caps so you can find
quickly, otherwise without HTML, it makes reading difficult:
Here it goes:

[snip]

I now pronounce this thread over! (Sorry, but it just got entirely too
unwieldy. You still need to end your confusion between Windows and
Office, Add/Remove and Belarc. Also, please don't use all caps; it's
called shouting, it's considered rude, and it's difficult to read. I
know you didn't intend to be rude; I'm just letting you know for future
posts.)

1. Although you once had a non-genuine installation of the Windows XP
Professional operating system on your PC, it is now gone, replaced by a
genuine installation of the Windows XP Home operating system. This is
all above board now. You may or may not need a new product key
eventually since you put it out on the Internet. You already contacted
Microsoft about this issue.

2. You once had a tech install what you now believe to be a non-genuine
version of Office on your PC. You now have remnants of this installation
on your PC. If this is indeed a pirated version of Office, it should
eventually be removed -- either by you or by a qualified technician.

3. Since you would rather not try alternatives to Office or Word, you
plan on eventually installing a stand-alone version of Word.

So, good luck to you, Adela. And best wishes for a happy 2008!

--
Dave

Adela wrote:

***1. What kind of disk is this: full or upgrade? Retail or generic
OEM?
* The home ed. I got from MS must be an "upgrade" from the Pro. I
don't know whether retail or generic; it came directly from MS
headquarters (I couldn't believe it!). I know WinXP Pro was an
upgrade from Win98 by that cheater....

You didn't answer my question! I DON'T KNOW, DAAVE....THAT'S WHY I
EXPLAINED ABOVE WHAT I DO KNOW.

I am presuming this is a full, retail version of Windows XP Home.
What
is printed on the disk? "INCLUDES PACK 2.VERSION 2002. DO NOT MAKE
ILLEGAL COPIES OF THIS DISK. MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION."

FYI, it's impossible to upgrade from Pro to Home. But it is possible
upgrade from 98 to XP Home (that's why I asked the question). I
UNDERSTAND, BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW THE TECHI DID IT. THOUGH I TRY TO
FOLLOW
WHAT THEY DO WHEN THEY COME AND SIT AT THE COMPUTER...THEY GO ABOUT
SO
QUICKLY THAT THEY LOSE ME SO I JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE... :o)

But from the rest of the post, I'm reasonably sure you have the full,
retail version. If you can verify that, it would be good. YES, I'LL
ASK
THE TECHI WHO INSTALLED THE HOME ED. WHEN HE RETURNS TO TOWN PROBABLY
TOMORROW.

***2. Did you perform a clean install of Windows XP Home?
* Another techi came to install it so I dont' know, but I think he
probably left in the WinXP Pro because it's still in the Add/Remove
and also in Belarc... I can call and ask him.

A clean install involves erasing everything and starting from
scratch.
Since Belarc is showing you also have Windows XP Pro (as you
mentioned
below), the tech must have done it wrong. MY MISTAKE. SEE THE NEXT
PARAGRAPH BELOW.

<edit>

But later, you indicated Windows XP Pro is *NOT* showing up in your
Belarc report!!! YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! BELARC ONLY SHOWS WINDOWS
XP
HOME AND OFFICE XP PRO. IN MY MIND, I MIXED UP THE "OFFICE" WITH THE
"WINDOWS". BUT ADD/REMOVE IS STILL SHOWING THIS WINDOWS XP PRO
THOUGH....

</edit>

That is, he was supposed have done a clean install! (Since Windows
XP Pro
was not legit, it needs to be removed!) YOU'RE RIGHT AGAIN! THERE'S
SOMETHING WRONG AS IT IS STILL IN THE ADD/REMOVE.

But you are still confusing Windows with Office! Your operating
system (Windows) will never show up in Add/Remove (but you will see
it listed
in a Belarc report). I CONFESS I DO CONFUSE THESE 2! BUT THEN WHY
THE
WINXP PRO STILL APPEARS IN ADD/REMOVE? PROBABLY THE TECHI DIDN'T
MAKE A
CLEAN SWITCH THEN?

***Is it possible you have *two* operating systems on your PC? One
XP
Home and one XP Pro?
* Both the XP Home and the XP Pro are in Belarc, but neither is in
Add/Remove...In A/R I only see Office XP Pro.

Correct. You will not see your operating system (Windows) in
Add/Remove.
AGAIN, I SEE THE WINXP PRO STILL IN ADD/REMOVE...I'M SURE THE TECHI
WILL
COME TO FIX IT WHEN I TELL HIM. (this isn't the cheating techi)

***Did this tech install Office? *Yes, he did, that's why it
appears in A/R and in Belarc.
***Did he give you the disk? *He handed me a large envelope
with,
as he said, "all I need."
***It's possible you never got the disk, correct? That is, I need to
know if your installation of Office is genuine or not.
* I'm not sure whether I actually saw it or not, but I'll bet that
if the main CD, the WinXP Pro was false, the Office has got to also
be false; no doubt!

If your Office is not legit, you will either need to purchase a new
one (I doubt MS will give you one... but you never know...) or
perhaps use
Open Office, which is free: WELL, THEY GAVE ME THE WINXP HOME ...I
PREFER
TO STICK WITH MS SO AS NOT TO HAVE TO START LEARNING NEW WAYS OF
USING IT
AS IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY. LOL!

http://www.openoffice.org/product/

You could also opt to just install a standalone version of Word. Your
choice... .I FIGURE AN OLDER VERSION OF STAND ALONE WORD SHOULD BE
VERY
LOW PRICED SO I'LL DO THAT. OR THIS TECHI IF HE HAS TO COME TO
UNINSTALL
THE WINXP PRO, MIGHT REINSTALL THE OFFICE WITH HIS OWN DISK.

***You said you were trying to "delete" Office. What exactly did you
do? Deleting and uninstalling are two different things.
* No, I was trying to delete XP Pro. If I deleted instead the
Office that explains why I can't open Word...however, if I deleted
Office instead of my intended XP Pro, why is Office still showing in
A/R and in Belarc??? We need Sherlock Holmes!

(a clarification of terms:)

Operating systems can't be deleted. And in your case, they can't be
uninstalled, either. The only way to remove an operating system is to
format your hard drive and perform a clean install of another
operating
system. OH NO!!!! REINSTALLING THE HARD DRIVE MEANS I HAVE TO FIRST
BACKUP EVERYTHING, ETC. I HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO...

Programs (for the most part) can't be deleted. You may uninstall
programs, and this is usually done from Add/Remove. OH THEN I'LL TRY
UNINSTALL THE WINXP PRO WHICH IS SITLLL IN THE ADD/REMOVE. I HOPE I
CAN
DO THAT.

As I said before,
deleting and uninstalling are different things. Deleting involves
sending files to the Recycle Bin. That's why I asked what you did
exactly. If you were literally trying to "delete" Office, this would
cause problems. I THINK WHAT I DID WAS TO TRY TO DELETE IT, MAYBE
THAT'S
WHY IT'S SITLL IN ADD/REMOVE? I WILL TRY TO UNINSTALL IT MYSELF.
MAYBE I
DON'T HAVE TO CALL THE TECHI TO DO IT, ALTHOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHY HE
HIMSELF DIDN'T DO IT WHEN HE INSTALLED THE WINXP HOME. I'LL ASK HIM
ANYWAY.

You must not have totally uninstalled Office if it's still showing
up in
Add/Remove. If you had a legit version, I'd suggest that you repair
the
installation (which very well might require using the missing Office
installation disk). NO, OFFICE IS NOT IN ADD/REMOVE. IT IS IN
BELARC
ONLY. IN ADD/REMOVE IS WINXP PRO...

***Wow! That's an old PC. I believe these were the original specs:
450-MHz Pentium III
64 MB RAM
6.4 GB hard drive
* Yes, I bought it around 7 years ago with 128MB RAM.

***I'm sure you have upgraded memory at the very least (and
hopefully the hard drive as well). What are the current specs?
* A few months ago I got another 250MB RAM. It came with a 13.6GB
hard drive, and about a year ago I replaced it with one around 40GB.
Amazingly my computer still works perfectly, even Belarc commented
under my hd: "SMART status: healthy" ;o) Motherboard: Intel
SE440BX-3.

Although it's good you upgraded the RAM and hard drive, your PC's
specs
are far from ideal in order to run XP (but configured properly, it's
doable). In fact, rather than spending money on tech services, you
can
find a blisteringly fast new PC that comes with XP Home for less than
$400. Example:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/results.aspx/desktops?~ck=anav&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&a=26748~0~249730&navla=26748~0~249730

I'LL LOOK INTO IT SLOWLY, BUT I'VE PUT SO MUCH MONEY ALREADY IN THIS
COMPUTER, THAT I IF I CAN SOLVE THESE LITTLE THINGS, I'D LIKE TO WAIT
UNTIL
THE COMPUTER DIES ON ME. LOL! OTHERWISE IT'S WORKING VERY WELL.
WHEN I
BOUGHT IT 7 OR SO YEARS AGO $1700 FOR IT + TAX + SHIPPING (+ 3 YEAR-
WARRANTY WHICH I DIDN'T HAVE TO USE AFTER ALL) WAS A LOT OF MONEY AND
THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO LAST ME FOREVER! :o) THE ONLY REASON I
HAVE A
COMPUTER IS TO HELP A FEW SMALL CHARITIES - I DON'T DO ANY FOR-PROFIT
BUSINESS, NOT EVEN NON-PROFIT BUSINES, I'D SAY I DO
LESS-THAN-NON-PROFIT
SINCE I HAVE TO PUT MONEY OF MY OWN TO HELP, SO NATURALLY I TRY TO
AVOID
BUYING THE LATEST HI TECH STUFF FOR AN ARM AND A LEG... :o) WHEN IT
DIES
ON ME, THEN I HAVE THE LINK YOU SO KINDLY GAVE TO LOOK FOR A NEW
COMPUTER.

***Operating systems can't be deleted. What exactly did you do with
the Windows XP Home disk? You must not have installed it since
you're
still running the non-genuine Windows XP Pro.
* I have it in a secure place so I won't lose it and it has been
installed.. I don't think I'm not running the WinXP Pro.

The reason I had asked earlier what type of disk you had is that
different licenses permit different levels of use. For instance, a
generic OEM disk is tied to the PC on which it is installed and
cannot
be used on any other PC. A retail license/disk can be transferred to
another PC (provided that it's removed from the first PC). OH
THANKS FOR
THIS EXPLANATION TOO. THERE'S SO MUCH TO LEARN AND THINGS CHANGE SO
QUICKLY...

The easiest way to tell which OS you're running is to right-click My
Computer. I JUST DID AND IT SHOWS ONLY WINXP HOME, SO I GUESS IT'S
OK?

***In the paragraph above, you said that Belarc is showing that you
are running "Windows (XP)Professional." But in another post (the one
where you included your Product Key!), you said Belarc reported you
were running Windows XP Home. Which is it? Both, perhaps?

* Let me resume what I have exactly:
In ADD/REMOVE I have : Microsoft Office XP Professional with Front
Page. ONLY, that's all.
In BELARC I have all of these:
Under "Operating System": Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service
Pack 2 (Build 2600).
Under "Software Licenses": Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (with
key code).
Under "Software Version": Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Version. (version #)

* Still in BELARC I have:
Under "Installed Microsoft HotFixes": Microsoft Office XP Pro with
Front Page
Under "software Licenses": Microsoft Office XP Pro with Front Page
Under "Software Version": Microsoft Office XP Version (version #)

You changed it again!!! >
I don't see Windows XP Pro listed anywhere! (In a previous post you
said
you saw it listed in your Belarc report, but all I see is Office!)
I'M SO SORRY DAAVE! THIS CONFUSION IS SO TERRIBLE. BUT BY NOW AND
THANKS
TO YOUR KIND PATIENCE I THINK I GOT IT NOW ONCE AND FOR ALL. THE
ABOVE
LIST OF WHAT I HAVE IN ADD/REMOVE AND IN BELARC IS CORRECT.

If this is the case, you are legit with regard to your operating
system.
However, Office may very well not be legit, as we already covered.
I'M
SURE THAT IF HE CHEATED ME WITH THE WINXP HE ALSO CHEATED ME WITH THE
OTHER THINGS HE INSTALLED...

***I wonder if you *do* have two operating systems. When you boot,
are you given a choice?
* No, I'm not given any choice of OS.

With the new info you posted above, it looks like you only have
Windows
XP Home. I hope *that* much has been resolved. :-) YES, I THINK
THIS PART
HAS BEEN RESOLVED. ALL I'LL DO NOW IS TRY TO UNINSTALL THE WINXP
PRO FROM
ADD/REMOVE.

***Why don't you open up boot.ini and copy the text and post it
here? For more info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
* Oh Daave, this is too difficult and I'm afraid I may make a worse
mess, so I'll pass for now.

Good idea. Not necessary now.

Thanks so very much, but we better stop here as it seems to get more
and more complicated. I cna't do this to you. I'm sure you agree
that the best course to take is wait for MS answer.

I doubt MS will give you a free copy of Office, but I guess it's
possible since you reported the "cheater tech." If not, either
install a
stand-alone Word or the free Open Office. If you only want to
install a
word processor, I've had good experience with AbiWord (also free):

http://www.abisource.com/information/about/

THANKSK AGAIN, AS MENTIONED ABOVE, I'LL STICK WITH WORD AS I'M
FAMILIAR WITH
IT.

I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Safe, Peaceful
and Happy New Year!! Adela

And a very happy Christmas and prosperous new year to you, too,
Adela!

--
Dave

.