Re: "NET NOT RECOGNIZED AS A COMMAND" et al

<bill@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I got this issue and error when trying to execute a NET STOP command
to fix the update not working issue.

"NET NOT RECOGNIZED AS A COMMAND"

OK so I know what the problem is - the PATH isn't working.

I have verified that, BUT the PATH variable appears correct and I
re-entered it.

I was able to type the long path command and it works
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NET STOP ....

If I type %systemroot% I get back C:\WINDOWS not recognized as a
command.

So the system knows what %systemroot% is
the first item in PATH=%systemroot%\system32;.........
NET.EXE is in system32
BUT typing NET STOP at the command prompt gets me the error.

Even if I open the cmd prompt in the system32 folder I get the same
error.

everything works the same if I rename notepad.exe to test.exe and type
TEST.

WHY & How to fix pplleeaasseeeee.

Some of the items you report appear contradictory. However, the
usual cause for this problem is an invalid value type for the %path%
variable. I assume that your path shows up as

%systemroot%\system32;......... at the Command Prompt, which
is wrong. It should show up as
c:\windows\system32;........

Have a look at the value
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\Path

I suspect it is a Reg_SZ value. It should be a Reg_Expand_SZ value.

  • Re: Need help with command prompt path
    ... I access command prompt by clicking 'Start, ... Check your %SystemRoot% and %System% settings by opening a command ... environment variables press Return to get next line, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Help w/ Wireless
    ... I could not get the command prompt to accept the commands below. ... this " %SystemRoot% " is C on my ... > uninstall or delete the greyed out copies of the device you are trying to ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: MSINFO32.exe will not open.
    ... You might try uninstalling and then reinstalling Windows 2003 SP2. ... section of this fix I get an error saying file not found. ... At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: MSINFO32.exe will not open.
    ... section of this fix I get an error saying file not found. ... Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK. ... At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: MSINFO32.exe will not open.
    ... section of this fix I get an error saying file not found. ... Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK. ... At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)