Re: Recovering files from SimpleTech external hard drive to new laptop

Then you should be able to do a straightforward copy. The issue may be
the ACLs ( Permissions on the folder/files ) on the removable drive. You
may need to take ownership of the Removable drive's contents.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
*This only applies if the removable drive is formatted NTFS