Re: is it an operating system issue?

"Terry R." wrote:

On 6/7/2007 1:16 PM On a whim, qtd pounded out on the keyboard

"Terry R." wrote:

On 6/7/2007 12:29 PM On a whim, qtd pounded out on the keyboard

hi there,
I am having trouble with an old laptop...all the applications such as
windows media player, microsoft word, excel, yahoo messenger, msn messenger
work fine. The problem I am having is that every time I click on the icons
such as: internet explorer (the browswer does not pop up), control panel, my
computer, windows explorer, recycle bin or anything that will allow me to
"have a look into my computer", nothing (no window) will pop up to allow me
to do so. Does anyone know why, and how to resolve this issue?
anyhelp will be greaty appreciated!
QD
Sounds like malware/adware infection.

Here are some basic suggestions (some provided previously by Shenan
Stanley):

(1.)
Download and install ERUNT and have it create a registry backup.

(2.)
Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, do the
following:
Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
Click on "Settings" and change the "Amount of disk space to use:" to
something between 128MB and 512MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right
now.)
Click OK.
Click on "Delete Files" and select to "Delete all offline contents"
(the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10
minutes or more.)
Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet
Explorer.

(3.)
Turn off System Restore.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
Reboot the Computer

(4.)
Install the first five of these: (Install, Run, Update, Scan with..)
(If you already have one or more - uninstall them and download the
LATEST version from the page given!)

Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )

SpywareBlaster (Free!)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate6 )

IE-SPYAD2 (Free!)
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm#IESPYAD
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate7 )

SuperAntiSpyware (Free and up)
http://www.superantispyware.com/

CWShredder Stand-Alone (Free!)
http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/

Hijack This! (Free!)
(Log Analyzer: http://hjt.networktechs.com/ )

Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate3 )

ToolbarCop (Free!)
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

Ccleaner (Free!)
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Browser Security Tests (Free Tester)
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

Popup Tester (Free Tester)
http://www.popuptest.com/

The Cleaner (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.moosoft.com/

Sometimes you need to install the application and reboot into SAFE MODE
in order to thoroughly clean your computer. Many applications also have
(or are) immunization applications. Spybot Search and Destroy and
SpywareBlaster are two that currently do the best job at passively
protecting your system from malware. None of these programs (in these
editions) run in the background unless you TELL them to. The space they
take up and how easy they are to use greatly makes up for any
inconvenience you may be feeling.

(5.)
After everything is clean, turn System Restore back on and reboot.

Another option is to use an alternative Web browser. I suggest
'Mozilla Firefox', as it has some great features and is very easy to
use: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Some alternative anti-virus programs:
AntiVir http://www.free-av.com/
avast! http://www.avast.com/
AVG Anti-Virus System http://free.grisoft.com/

Report back,

--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***

hi terry r,
wow thanks for replying so quickly and so in depth!!
however my problem is that I CAN'T open up an internet explorer browser and
am unable to download anything. I also can't access "system restore" because
I can't get into "control panel," I can't even open up "recycle bin" to see
what is in there. Also, "my computer," and "windows explorer" is also a
no-go. Looks as if I can't browse through anything in my computer. Do you
have any other ideas what it may be? qd

Have you tried Windows Safe Mode? Reboot and then keep pressing F8
until you get a menu and select Safe Mode with Networking. Then see if
you can open IE.

If not, you may need to use a flash drive (USB drive), go to another
computer and download the programs above and install them on your
computer that way.

--
Terry R.

***Reply Note***

hi terry,
thanks again for your post. Well, the problem when I connect a flash drive
to my laptop is that the windows explorer won't pop up (nor can I get access
to it) to even have a look at what's in the flash drive. This won't help me,
but after I rebooted in safe mode, it does allow me access to internet
explorer, recycle bin, windows explorer, etc etc. (what was immediately
important to me is get access to windows explorer so that I can remove some
of the files on my laptop and onto my flash drive). This I was able to do,
and I am happy. This will just buy me more time to figure out what to do with
my lap top, After all, I can't really browse the internet in Safe Mode
forever!

As for lvtraveler, I'm not sure specifically what you are speaking of, but I
am pretty sure it doesn't apply to me? correct me if I am wrong??

thanks again to the pair of you.
please let me know if you can think of anything else.
qd

  • =?iso-8859-1?q?[Solved]_Sicherheitsmeldung_beim_=F6ffnen_von_z=2EB=2E_Zip-Dateien_auf_ei
    ... Windows XP Pro Sp1 / IE7. ... Ich finde das sowas von irritierend (Internet Explorer? ... Intranet will. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.sonstiges)
  • Re: Black Screen after splash, and slow after format...
    ... You may wish to look at your settings for Internet Explorer. ... Go to Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, View, Advanced, scroll down and check the box before Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when Browser is closed. ... would probably explain why Windows Messenger is so old. ... >> You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative>> Tools, ...
  • Web Page Titles Change to URL in IE6 Again
    ... I've noticed the same problem as explained below with Internet ... This computer is running Windows Server 2003. ... I've encountered a strange problem with Internet Explorer 6. ... This is quite troublesome because I often have many browser windows ...
  • Re: is it an operating system issue?
    ... "Terry R." ... windows media player, microsoft word, excel, yahoo messenger, msn messenger ... internet explorer, control panel, my ... Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Whats the story on Content.IE5?
    ... >Content.IE5 does not appear in Widows Explorer, you have to know where it is ... >%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files ... >You will probably have to click the Folders button on the Tool Bar. ... Terry, West Sussex, UK ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)