Re: Start / Program Menu Disappears

Peter R wrote:
Hello,

I've noticed lately that when I click the Start button, the menu appears for a moment then seems to drop behind the taskbar quickly and then disappears entirely. If I click the Start button a second time then I am able to use the menu. But after I do some other tasks for few moments and go back to the Start button, then menu disappears again and I need to click it a second time to use it.

I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but I've also noticed that Windows has stopped starting my screensaver after 5 minutes and no longer turns off my monitors like it should.

Any idea what could be causing all this?

Thank you for any help!
Peter

Windows XP Pro SP2

( For the start menu issue, I tried the .bat file posted in the following thread but it didn't work: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&tid=e606ebbe-b5fe-4c80-9469-2635e30b87a9&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
)

Try this registry fix then. You can edit it to see what it does first.

Line 117. Restore Taskbar and Start Menu

And there are a few fixes available at this site without downloading the software:

Line 298. Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

--
Joe =o)

  • Re: How do I get all my Word documents within one Word window
    ... single Taskbar button. ... >> Show or hide program buttons on Windows XP Taskbar ... Click the Taskbar tab. ... >> display as separate icons. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: DirectDBNotifyWndProc
    ... I really wonder if anybody got irritated by my comments on Windows Defender ... that what I describe has to do with my PC freezing upon connection? ... I dont have Spybot Search & Destroy, ... Whenever it runs at the taskbar, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: DirectDBNotifyWndProc
    ... If you believe the issue is caused by HP's task manager, try uninstalling it or disbaling it if you can to see if it clears it up. ... I really wonder if anybody got irritated by my comments on Windows Defender ... Whenever it runs at the taskbar, ... Upon connection the PopUp window that says "Connected to xxx ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How do I get all my Word documents within one Word window
    ... The taskbar buttons are great for quick navigation, ... > Show or hide program buttons on Windows XP Taskbar ... Click the Taskbar tab. ... > display as separate icons. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: How do I get all my Word documents within one Word window
    ... Show or hide program buttons on Windows XP Taskbar ... Click the Taskbar tab. ... your program windows may not display grouped in one ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)