Re: Registry... Windows\system32\config... System

"POP" <iknowyouwant@xxxxxxxx> wrote
Have a friends PC which willl not boot, well, keeps rebooting.

Putting hdd into mine there are loads of .dmp files and when opening them even though show alot of machine code there is a line... about windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

Repair folder has a file 6mb size where normal 'software file' is only 1.6mb. Being smaller leading me to believe is corrupted. Thinking of copying repair folder system file to config folder but was just wondering what you all do to protect your registry... How do you get the 'repair folder' copies upto date, they are currently 18months old, presumably when pc built.

For backing up the registry look at ERUNT. Use scheduled tasks to make a daily backup. When set up properly, if something corrupts the registry, a backup can be restored from the recovery console.

ERUNT
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

Installing and Using ERUNT
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

  • Re: Registry... Windowssystem32config... System
    ... about windows\system32\config\system is corrupt. ... Thinking of copying repair folder system file to config folder but was just wondering what you all do to protect your registry... ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Registry... Windowssystem32config... System
    ... Thanks for that Rock..looks just right, now how many friends do I need to install this on... ... about windows\system32\config\system is corrupt. ... Thinking of copying repair folder system file to config folder but was just wondering what you all do to protect your registry... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP Pro will not boot up
    ... A necessary Registry hive file couldn't be loaded. ... It is corrupt, absent, or not writable. ... Disable automatic restart on system failure. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: O.T. Issue signing off computer
    ... my registry unless absolutely necessary. ... replacing the file using another computer will ensure a possible malware install cannot corrupt it. ... I once fixed an old laptop that would not boot and reported that HAL.DLL was missing or corrupted at boot up. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Registry corrupted, temporary user only?
    ... administrator you can rename the corrupt profile. ... Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems] ... | Could not load file into registry, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.registry)