Re: Disable installation new applications through Group Policy

On Mar 7, 8:53 am, jkalcic <jkal...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I need to lock my network workstations not giving to the user the
possibility to installa new application. Dying in GPO I found several keys
similart to what I need but they are not the right solution. What I actually
want to is disable *.exe installation at all.

Is this possbile?
--
Jan Kalcic
IT Consultant

Probably a question for Group Policy newsgroup. You can disable
any .exe files from being run, but this will more than likely not be
good for you because this stops any program that you use from being
run (all .exe programs). You can disable the Microsoft Installer from
being run, which will stop almost all programs from being installed
(unless the program being installed has it's own installer built in).
I would use this to do what you are trying to do, and then, if you
know certain programs that people are installing that have their own
built in installer, then you can block that specific installer in
group policy. Again, I would post this in the Group Policy newsgroup
for a better answer.

  • Re: published software: Unabled to extract deployment information.
    ... being able to publish an .exe file directly using group policy. ... can not be installed properly by GP using msi! ... WIndows Installer, ...
  • Re: Set up project fails
    ... when I run the exe on a laptop I will get this error: ... Definitive Guide to Windows Installer ... I can install this msi file on machines with vs2003 installed in them. ... exe file and the only dll file over to another machine is common run ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.setup)
  • Re: Application.StartupPath
    ... You can strong name an exe. ... company's Network admin set up a login script to run the installer - I ... However when I just copy the exe file to the file server (along with the ... This xml file is located in the same folder as the executable. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: published software: Unabled to extract deployment information.
    ... software with .exe extensions using group policy. ... can not be installed properly by GP using msi! ... File types that you use with Group Policy Software Installation ... WIndows Installer, ...
  • Re: [2003] Why cant app print?
    ... SYSTEM32 by our installer. ... combine the EXE and the DLL, but got the same error when running the ... while installing the application on the server through a TS session. ...