Do I need Windows SQL Server on my computer?

Hi,

Windows SQL Server is installed on my Win XP Pro (SP2) computer. I assume it
has always been there, and wonder if I need it, since I am in not in a
corporate network. I use the computer in my home office, and the only other
device on our home network is my wife's sharing the DSL line.

The reason I ask is that my new internet security program, Kasperksy v. 6
detects several intrusion attempts a day aimed at the SQL Server.

Do I need SQL Server on my computer? Is it possible to uninstall it? Is it
okay to do that? If I cannot be uninstalled, is there any way to make it
"invisible" to intruders?

Thank you.

Orrie

  • Re: Uninstalling SQL Server 2008 Express - "delete local security
    ... "Delete the local security groups. ... Before you uninstall SQL Server, ... MVP Directory Services ... I decided to do an uninstall of the instance. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: SQL Server 2005 Install/Uninstall
    ... else stumbling on this thread read the uninstall information CAREFULLY ... If you have SQL Server 2005 September CTP, ... >I'm wanting to install the September 2005 install, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • How do I uninstall SQL Server 2005 from Vista when uninstall and manual attempts fail
    ... How do I uninstall SQL Server 2005 Developer Ed from Vista Enterprise ed when the following attempts fail ... Detail on add/remove programs - I selected a SQL Server 2005 item and clicked uninstall. ... I was able to uninstall most of SQL Server 2005 but "Uninstall or change a program" Microsoft SQL Server 2005 still was shown. ... In Services I could still see "SQL Server Reporting Services" and I could stop and start it. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: SQL Server 2005 Install/Uninstall
    ... Ive got the September CTP, ... I think I need to reinstall Reporting Services. ... any way to just reintall RS, or do I have to uninstall all of SQL? ... > I had the June SQL Server CTP and ran the uninstal utility from the Sept ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Install SQLS2k after SQLS2k5?
    ... instance through TCP/IP then I will want to uninstall SQL Server 2005 first ... before installing SQL Server 2000. ... Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward compatibility Size 26.35MB ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)