Re: Setup is being restarted .........

I can't get past the "Setup is being restarted (20 dots) " screen. It will
not allow me to use safe mode, I pump F8 gently as it boots to no effect.

Should I continue to let the machine run? Will it eventually finish?
(suspect checking hard drive media, 18.6 Gb scsi, dim blink of hd light about
every second). It has been running for 20 hours now with "Setup is being
restarted (20 dots) " screen unchanged.

Thanks for your time on this.
Rgds, Bob

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manger,
right-click on your Display Adapter(s) and select
"uninstall". Reboot the PC normally and Windows
XP will install a generic VGA driver. Then you
can uninstall any existing video adapter software,
then download and install the latest software
from the web site of the video adapter chipset
manufacturer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"BB" wrote:

I've found a utility "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows". It enables me to run a
strapped down windows from a CD. I can see the hard drives and the files
using this CD. I can copy my work from the system drive to a second scsi
drive (panic decreased). All drives are fine as far as I can make out.
Bob

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

Did you run the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"BB" wrote:

The above is the message I currently have on my (other) machine, which is a
Compaq AP550, running two 866 P3s, 768 Mb ram, with 8.5 Gb spare on first
scsi hard drive.

Question, what is Windows XP pro doing? It has been like this for several
hours now.

History: All running fine then decided to change graphics card. Forgot to
unload old card drivers. Installed new card, screen froze. Attempted to
repair by using XP Pro cd and using second 'R'. Screen froze. Replaced new
card with original. Attempted to start up XP, got "Setup is being restarted
......". Used XP cd to boot, second 'R'. got "Setup is being restarted ....."

At boot there is a lot of hard drive chuntering. Then there is a dim blip,
about every second, on the hd light. That goes on and on. Is XP doing some
sort of deep hd chkdsk?.

Thanks for your help,
Bob

  • Re: Just introducing myself
    ... Since it's with starting windows, there's a good chance that extracting ... onboard network card these days) and my SCSI card as it could be lack ... The RAID Card has its own BIOS. ... Anyway, we've got lots of IDE hard drives lying around, so ...
  • Re: XP wont Boot
    ... >tried other hard drives with XP on them and they all do exactly the same ... but if I connect a Windows 98 drive the system boots without a hitch. ... In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Setup is being restarted .........
    ... "Setup is being restarted .." ... Reboot the PC normally and Windows ... I can see the hard drives and the files ... All running fine then decided to change graphics card. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP wont Boot
    ... > VIA P4M266A for Intel Socket 478 processor. ... However Windows XP boots for about 20 seconds the restarts ... > tried other hard drives with XP on them and they all do exactly the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: XP wont Boot
    ... This is because of the Windows Product Activation. ... installation was actviated based on your old motherboard. ... However Windows XP boots for about 20 seconds the restarts ... >> tried other hard drives with XP on them and they all do exactly the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)