Re: Forget BIOS Password

"RajKohli" <RajKohli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:7C8165FD-6AC3-4D06-850E-40E423C7076B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Check this:

http://www.tech-faq.com/dell-bios-password.shtml

Let me know your view and any soft idea to know the Master Password.

From the link provided you will need to contact Dell, better to have your friend contact them with all the info needed so you won't have to transfer ownership (can take up to 30 days to process). From everywhere I've searched it appears the Inspiron has the BIOS password stored in the eeprom of a non-volatile chip, which means removing/replacing the CMOS battery won't do any good.

If no good comes from Dells support you could at your own risk try disassembling, shorting two legs of the chip, reassembling, resetting the bios pw and service tag.

This site has some good info including disassembling, shorting the chip and reassembling w/pics:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/judslat/paragon/

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/judslat/paragon/dellstrip.PDF

Another posibility would be to try a BIOS password cracker/revealer. No guarantees as I've never used any but this was mentioned:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Tip of The Day
=========
Add SHOW / HIDE Recycle Bin option in "Folder Options". Learn how to at:

http://www.mindurbrain.zippyfreehost.com/

> One of my friend has a Dell Insprion 640M Laptop. Somehow, he forget the CMOS
> / BIOS Password. After the POST screen the system is display the message:
>
> "Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program. [and after a
> few seconds].
>
> Dell Inc.
> www.dell.com
>
> This computer system, #BD5SK1S-595B, is protected by a password
> authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer with the
> correct password.
>
> Please type in the system or administrator password and press <Enter>."
>
> I know that the password can be reset through the CMOS jumper or by removing
> the CMOS battery. I am not a laptop professional and will not like to make a
> scratch or any breakage to my friend's laptop. So, I search the net and found
> that you can ask Dell for a Master BIOS Pasword by giving them the Service
> Tag No. and Express Service Code No. So, I did the same and make an
> International Call from India to USA for the same. Asusual, they have no
> clue. After 10 mintues of conversation they just told me that "BIOS password
> is not our department." then I just put up the phone.
>
> Anyhow, I am going to contact through their email support but if someone has
> any idea about this kindly let me know or if someone from USA can ask Dell
> for the Master password for me then I will highly appreciate.
>
> The Service Tag No. is: BD5DK1S and Express Servuce Code is: 24740396416.
> Dell's Technical Support No. is:(800)624-9896.
>
> My friend also try to open the laptop so he can reset the password through
> Jumper or by removing the CMOS battery. But the laptop cover is stucking with
> the Power Battery button. Let me know, if you have any idea that how I can
> remove the cover properly.
>
> Looking for a fast and good response.
>
> -- > Tip of The Day
> =========
> Add SHOW / HIDE Recycle Bin option in "Folder Options". Learn how to at:
>
> http://www.mindurbrain.zippyfreehost.com/

I find nothing at Dell's support on a BIOS password for the make/model you
provided. Are you sure it's a BIOS password and not a system OS password that you
need?

Dell™ Inspiron™ 640M/E1405 Service Manual

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins640m/en/SM/index.htm

Quite a bit to do to get at the mobo:
Preparing to Work Inside the Computer

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins640m/en/SM/begin.htm#wp1421711

System Components

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins640m/en/SM/compnts.htm#wp999507

Removing the System Board

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins640m/en/SM/sysboard.htm#wp1000473

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  • Re: Forget BIOS Password
    ... Contact Dell Technical Support at http://support.dell.com/contactus/contactushome.aspx. ... > One of my friend has a Dell Insprion 640M Laptop. ... After 10 mintues of conversation they just told me that "BIOS password ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 CMOS Battery Location
    ... I am at a total loggerhead with a client's Dell Inspiron 2500 Laptop. ... Somehow they have lost/forgotten the BIOS password and have requested ... find the CMOS battery! ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Dell Inspiron 2500 CMOS Battery Location
    ... I am at a total loggerhead with a client's Dell Inspiron 2500 Laptop. ... Somehow they have lost/forgotten the BIOS password and have requested ... find the CMOS battery! ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • >>>> RESET BIOS <<<<
    ... Reset Bios Password Scenic N320 ... Dell Bios Password Reset ... Reset Bios On Compaq E500 Laptop ...
    (comp.lang.awk)
  • Re: >>>> RESET BIOS <<<<