Re: how do I open restricted folders and files

"matt22" wrote

I recently had to reinstall Windows XP. The new installation created new user
folders with additional file extensions (username.machinename) but kept the
old user folders (username). Now I cannot open the old folders and files.
When I try to open a file or folder in the My Documents folder I get the
message that Access is Denied.

How do I access these folders?

Also why does the reinstall create new user folders and how do I get rid of
the old ones?

To gain access of the files and folders take ownership of them. From Start | Help and Support search on ownership or see these articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418/en-us

  • Re: safe mode
    ... If you cannot do this yourself, maybe you know a friend that can hook ... ownership of the files or folders. ... How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP ...
  • Re: Seek Help on a folder that is password Protected
    ... I have a similar problem except that my new machine is running Windows XP ... i just can't access those certain protected folders. ... "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote: ... In XP Home version, you will need to boot the system into Safe Mode, and log on with an Administrator account, to take ownership of the files and folders. ...
  • Re: SP2 On XP Home
    ... How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install ... How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... On Tuesday, the folders ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SP2 On XP Home
    ... How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install ... How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... On Tuesday, the folders ...
  • Re: Cannot access files on D drive after reinstalling XP Pro
    ... > Recently we formatted and reinstalled XP Pro. ... > files and folders on a second Drive are no longer accessible (probably ... > "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. ... Take ownership of the files: ...