Re: how do I open restricted folders and files

"matt22" wrote

I recently had to reinstall Windows XP. The new installation created new user
folders with additional file extensions (username.machinename) but kept the
old user folders (username). Now I cannot open the old folders and files.
When I try to open a file or folder in the My Documents folder I get the
message that Access is Denied.

How do I access these folders?

Also why does the reinstall create new user folders and how do I get rid of
the old ones?

To gain access of the files and folders take ownership of them. From Start | Help and Support search on ownership or see these articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418/en-us

.