Re: how do I open restricted folders and files
- From: "Rock" <rock@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:19:15 -0800
I recently had to reinstall Windows XP. The new installation created new user
folders with additional file extensions (username.machinename) but kept the
old user folders (username). Now I cannot open the old folders and files.
When I try to open a file or folder in the My Documents folder I get the
message that Access is Denied.
How do I access these folders?
Also why does the reinstall create new user folders and how do I get rid of
the old ones?
To gain access of the files and folders take ownership of them. From Start | Help and Support search on ownership or see these articles:
HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP
- Prev by Date: Re: Change the frequency of System Restore points
- Next by Date: What kind on Mem?
- Previous by thread: Help, deleted User kept files but can't find them
- Next by thread: What kind on Mem?