Re: problems synchronizing with Internet Time Server

An error occurred getting the status of the last synchronization. The RPC
Server is unavailable.

Make sure that the Windows Time service is running.

Open Services...
Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click Windows Time |
If the Startup type is Disabled, set it to Automatic or Manual |
Start the service by clicking the Start button | When the service starts,
close Services

Try to update the time again.

Sometimes the server is just busy, try again later.

BTW, you do not have to go through the Control Panel, just double click on
the clock and then click the Internet Time tab.

Figures that would take the long way around the barn. ;-)

BTW, this is microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

To restore the Windows Time Service if it has been broken. Open a command
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |

Type: net stop W32Time hit your Enter key.

Type: w32tm /unregister hit your Enter key.

Type: w32tm /register hit your Enter key.

Type: net start W32Time hit your Enter key.

Type: sc query W32Time hit your Enter key.

It will look something like this...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>net stop W32Time
The Windows Time service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

The *** service is not started.

C:\>w32tm /unregister
The following error occurred: Access is denied. (0x80070005)

C:\>w32tm /register
W32Time successfully registered.

C:\>net start W32Time
The Windows Time service is starting.
The Windows Time service was started successfully.

C:\>sc query W32Time

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)

Hope this helps. Let us know.

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1165973080.682345.129600@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
hank_greenberg_37@xxxxxxxxxxx <hank_greenberg_37@xxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and
This is my first experience with Google Groups, so please let me know
I've posted this issue to the incorrect group...the computer in
question is a Dell Inspiron 600m running Windows XP 2002 with Service
Pack 2.

My wife recently tried to log into the ITunes Music Store and got the
following error message: "Could not complete the music store request.
The store may be busy. Check your internet connection or try again
later". As recently as two days ago, she was able to log into the
Music Store with no problems.

After some digging on-line, I found a site that indicated one reason
your Itunes Music Store might not be available is if your computers
date is not set correctly (see link below). The date on the computer
is set correctly, BUT I noticed that under the "Internet Time" tab of
the Date and Time properties, that it read "An error occurred getting
the status of the last synchronization. The RPC server is
unavailable". I am thinking this may have some bearing on our ITunes

I tried all the servers listed in the "Internet Time" tab, and clicked
"update now", but kept getting the same error message. After digging a
little more on-line, I was directed to the "services" listing under
"Administrative tools"....I found the "remote procedure call" service,
but on the "general" tab, "startup type" and "status" were grayed out,
with no way for me to adjust them. In addition, I was referred to
start the "Windows Time Service" but I see no listing of such a service
on the computer.

Anyone have any recommendations on how I can succesfully synchronize
the Internet Time? Any input is greatly appreciated.