Re: Windows Backup Utility Question
- From: Bruce Chambers <bchambers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 10:45:02 -0700
I need some advice. I use WinXP Pro and am planning to buy a new PC, also with WinXP Pro. I use the XP Pro Backup Utility to do nightly backups of everyone's Documents and Settings folders. Can I use these files to transfer my Documents and Settings stuff from old to new PC by just copying the file to the new PC and running restore?
Doing it that way would safely copy the files, but you wouldn't necessarily get all of the necessary permissions/privileges, etc. into the registry of the new computer. The File and Settings Transfer wizard would probably better suit your needs.
HOW TO Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows XP CD-ROM
HOW TO Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with a Wizard Disk in Windows XP
Help us help you:
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell
- Prev by Date: Re: XP Oem Home to XP Pro
- Next by Date: Re: Desktop Effect Command Button Malfunction
- Previous by thread: Re: Windows Backup Utility Question
- Next by thread: Re: Windows Backup Utility Question