Re: machine will only boot in safe mode

No /safeboot switch in your boot.ini. Beats me.

These switches have nothing to do with it, but here's what they do.

/noexecute=optin Enables DEP for core system images and those specified in
the DEP configuration dialog. DEP = Data Execution Protection.
/noexecute=optin was automatically added with SP2.

/fastdetect parameter disables NTDETECT serial and parallel port device
detection at the specified communications ports. If you do not specify a
communications port, this parameter disables detection on all serial and
parallel ports. Because the /fastdetect parameter permits Plug and Play
(PnP) to detect devices on these ports and prevents detection of unsupported
devices, it typically results in a faster, more reliable boot.

If you want to know what DEP is/does..
A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in
Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:919C3CA1-52DA-4AF4-9543-B4DC160C3CDF@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Steve <speedo@xxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
ok, here you go..........

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)partition(1) \windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)partition(1) \windows=
"Microsoft windows xp Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

does that make sense?? off to look at some of the links you posted

Steve

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

Double check your boot.ini for a /safeboot switch.

I don't know why, but there might be one in boot.ini and msconfig doesn't
see it.

Start | Run | Type: %systemdrive%\boot.ini | Click OK

Windows XP defaults to Safe Mode at every startup
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/safeboot.htm

Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239780

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F40DCBF1-2032-447D-839A-83EE667B6468@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Steve <speedo@xxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
sorry, just checking to see if anyone else has any ideas
or might know what the error means that I posted.

thanks again

"Steve" wrote:

under boot options I have.....

/safeboot
/noguiboot
/bootlog
/basevideo
/sos

and none of them are checked............does that make sense?

"Byte" wrote:

Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and press OK
Click the Boot.ini tab and uncheck Safe Mode
Click Apply and OK out. Reboot.
--
XP - WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Steve" wrote:

I have already tried several different dates without any luck. I
just disable the automatic restart and got the sometimes dreaded blue
screen with
this on it..........

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information

OXOOOOOOO4 (OXFFFFFFE8, OXOOOOOOO2, OXOOOOOOO1, OX804D9044)

does that help??

thanks,

Steve

"Kemco" wrote:

Possible Virus or hardware issue, Boot into Safe Mode. Click Start >
All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Follow
the prompts to restore to an earlier date. Pick a date on the
calendar prior to when the problem started happening. If this does
not work and you are still getting the same issue then boot into
safe mode and disable the automatic restart on failure. Click
Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintanence > System
Advanced Tab > Startup and Recovery Settings > Under system failure
uncheck
Automatically Restart > Click ok throughout and reboot the system.
Write down the error message and repost it here so we can help.
Good Luck,

Joe

Kemco IT Tech

"Steve" wrote:

sorry, she told Me this happened over the weekend. she remembers
getting a Microsoft update and when rebooting the laptop this is
what happened............sounds strange to me but......

"Steve" wrote:

first off, sorry if this has been answered over an over again
and believe me I have search this newsgroup but I am just
not sure what to do..............

a friend of mine windows XP Toshiba laptop won't start up
properly. it keeps returning to the same page over an over again

the options on the page are....

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

or last known good configuration

I can boot into the safe mode but when I try booting using the
last option, last known good configuration it brings me back to
the same page.

from what I read here I think I should try System Restore first
and if that doesn't fix it then a System Repair, right?

the problem is seeing that it's a Toshiba all that came with it
is a cd that says..........."Recovery and Applications/Drivers DVD
Satelite A55 Series.

any ideas on what I can do from here???

Steve

once again thats for any thoughts and/or sugguestions

thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

  • Re: machine will only boot in safe mode
    ... Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File ... Steve hunted and pecked: ... Click the Boot.ini tab and uncheck Safe Mode ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: machine will only boot in safe mode
    ... Double check your boot.ini for a /safeboot switch. ... Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File ... Steve hunted and pecked: ... Click the Boot.ini tab and uncheck Safe Mode ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to control folder access?
    ... safe mode to access ntfs permissions. ... --- Steve ... > Is there any way to protect folder/file access in Windows ...
  • Re: Windows Updates
    ... Safe Mode is invoked by pressing F8 during the boot process before Windows is loaded, ... just tap the F8 key every second or so and a menu will come up and you will want to ... --- Steve ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Cant get XP to idle
    ... hard disk failure, and before it failed the disk activity increased steadily. ... Windows XP may detect "too many" failures and start to ... If Safe Mode Command Only is fine, then try the following and compare ... The difference between Safe Mode and MSConfig startup suppression is ...