Re: alcan A or a dropper?

From: "thunderstruck_302@xxxxxxxxxxx" <thunderstruck302hotmailcom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| Hi. I'm having a fairly large problem that's probably going to require a bit
| of attention for a little while. I have ad-aware se pro and norton antivirus
| 2006, both with updated defenitions. I used both of them becuase I am getting
| constant popups for "winantivirus" and "winantivirus pro 2006". I got rid of
| everythig that showed on Norton (which were other, smaller viruses) but
| Ad-aware SE pro showed Win32.P2P-worm.Alcan.A in the sytem32 folder.
| Obviously they're invisibleto me and I can't see them by going there, and, I
| can fix it on ad-aware, but the thing comes up again when I do a scan after
| restarting. So, Ok, its a really advanced virus I guess that ou have to do
| more in order to get rid of. (although my local computer store says it could
| be a dropper as well)...
|
| My goal HERE is to find out how to remove this alcan.A thing, or to find out
| if htere is a dropper and how to get rid of it. I've tried googling it, but
| it seems that everyone that gets this virus has to go about deleting it in
| their own way. No two fixes are the same because people get the viruses from
| different sources. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

You have a muti-blended infection. The Winantivirus pop-ups are geberated by the Vundo
Trojan/Virtuomund Adware and then you have the Alcan worm.

Use ther Multi AV Scanning Tool to erradicate the Alcan Worm and you also need the other
specialty tools, such as VUNDOFIX.EXE for the Vundo Trojan/Virtuomund Adware.

Multi-Phase answer...

PHASE I
----------------

Perform Part 1 then perform Part 2

If the first two parts don't work, perform the alternate utility.

It is suggested that you execute each tool in Normal Mode then in Safe Mode.

If you are using any version of Sun Java that is prior to JRE Version 5.0 update 6,
then you are strongly urged to remove any/all versions that are prior to JRE/JSE
Version 5.0 update 6. There are vulnerabilities in them and they are actively being
exploited. It is possible that is how you got infected with malware.

Therefore, it is highly suggested that if there are any prior versions of Sun Java
to Version 6 on the PC that they be removed ASAP.

The latest version is Sun Java JRE/JSE Version 5.0 Update 9

Simple check, look under...
C:\Program Files\Java

The only folder under that folder should be the latest version.

Such as...
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

or

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

FYI:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102557-1

Part 1
------------
Download Adware-Virtumundo Removal Tool --
http://secured2k.home.comcast.net/tools/VirtumundoBeGone.exe

Information on the Adware-Virtumundo Removal Tool:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57049

Part 2
------------
Download WinFixerFix.exe from the URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/WinFixerFix.exe

Execute; WinFixerFix.exe { Note: You must accept the default of C:\McAfee }
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

FireWall to enable WGET.EXE to download the needed McAfee related files.

Execute; c:\mcafee\clean.bat
{ or Double-click on 'Clean Link' in c:\mcafee }

A final report in HTML format called C:\mcafee\Normal_ScanReport.HTML or
C:\mcafee\Safe_ScanReport.HTML will be generated. At the end of the scan, it will be
displayed in your browser (Opera, FireFox or Internet Explorer). However, if you are using
WinXP, Win2K or Win2003 your system will be left in a state where you will have to manually
shutdown/reboot the PC. On Win9x/ME platforms the report will not be shown in your bowser
but your PC will automatically be shutdown. It is suggested that you move the report out of
c:\mcafee before performing another scan.

It would be best to scan in both Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML
report for each session.

ALTERNATE:
--------------

Download Atribune's VUNDOFIX.EXE
http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=4

Save VUNDOFIX.EXE to "C:\" ( C:\VUNDOFIX.EXE ) and execute it from there.

PHASE II
----------------

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

Dave