Offline Files tab missing

I have a new computer and the Offline Files tab is missing from the
Folders Options under my Tools menu, how do I get this back?

You may get this question when rolling out a new SOE for example, and
have not been involved with the design/build or other aspects of the
company GPO's.

I have read through alot of posts regarding the Offline Files Tab from
the Folder Options. There may have been a post since that defines how
this has come about that the tab is not present but I would like to
share a way to commence troubleshooting this as it is not immediately
obvious unless you have a strong understanding with Policies.

1. Start run gpedit.msc
2. Select Computer Configuration\Administration
Templates\Network\Offline Files
3. Check the status of the "Prohibit user configuration of Offline
Files"
4. Ensure the state is "Not Configured"
5. Select User Configuration\Administration Templates\Network\Offline
Files
6. Ensure the state is "Not Configured"

If you still do not see the Offline Files tab run the gpupdate.exe
command.
If this still has no affect use the GPO mmc to load the default domain
policy. This is basically the same as a Local Policy management console
but for the Domain. A quich way to determine what Policies are
affective on a computer\user account is to run the gpresult.exe
command, identify what policies the computer\user has applied to it and
verify that the setting has not been set from the Domain Controller.

It is likely that the company security policy requires laptops for
example to have this applied, but you will at least be able to locate
the issue.

Finally remember the order of precedence for how policies are applied,
as even though the settings are not configured locally (very large
administrative effort for companies with a 100's or 1000's computers)
the lowest policy will be over ridden.

1. Local
2. Site
3. Domain
4. OU

  • security policy
    ... policy configured with some policies like the account ... I analized the policies with the Security Configuration ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: GPO weird behaviour:Public Key Policies settings applied autom
    ... I've looked into the Default Domain Policy (which I don't administer, ... public key policies are defined there. ... is that the settings tab of my policy should only show ... If i try to reproduce your configuration, ...
  • Deleting Default Group Policy?
    ... In the default policy group configuration I only configured the SUS updates and the accounts passwords policies. ... I discovered as well that if I log on as Domain Administrator that it says: "Your group policy prevents you from installing this". ... I then went and removed every single policy and it's link and only left the Default group policy unchanged but above error message does not change. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: GPO weird behaviour:Public Key Policies settings applied automatic
    ... If i try to reproduce your configuration, ... There is the default EFS account "Administrator", for Trusted Root Certification Authorities is also nothing configured in the policy, but shown with the settings tab, so i assume that is a default not changeable setting. ... After finished editing and applying the new policies, ...
  • Re: security policy
    ... default settings to local policy for a machine. ... I analized the policies with the Security Configuration ... local security policy and the account policies were ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)