Re: shared printer will not work?

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the reply but I didn't have any trouble with the 98 it is only
since adding the XP machine that is has caused trouble and the windows
Wizard doesn't work, however Brian has come up with a sugestion below that
has worked.
Cheers
"Frank" <bbunny@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I don't have a W98 machine here so I can't be sure. All
I ever remember doing is going to the box that has the
printer attached. Printer Properties > sharing > share this printer.
Windows assigned a share name.
WXP box add printer > network printer or a printer attached to
another computer. Let windows do its thing it may take a while.
Windows is a pain in the whatever when it comes to drivers
from 4.x to 5.x. sorry I can't help more.

"Lenny" <lenny109@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Frank,
I know that everything should have passwords for the security but I have
never had this problem before and the printer was sharing just fine 3 days
ago on the same XP machine when the second machine was a 98.

What could have gone wrong - what should I check on the new XP Pro machine
to make the printer work?

Completely stuck!
Lenny

"Frank" <bbunny@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
XP Pro with no passwords setup.....This jumps right out
at me. I have never been able to share anything in XP
without using user and password on both boxen.

"Lenny" <lenny109@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Here is a bit of an update to see if we can get to the bottom of this.
Both machines are windows XP Pro with no passwords set up.
The print that has been sent to the printer appears in the print cue
(both
computers) but just will not print. If I press Restart it still just sits
there.
Very stuck,
Lenny

"Lenny" <lenny109@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Brian,
Not to sure where to start on this one. Surely the Bios settings
shouldn't
have changed between the changing of the computers? Also what ports need
enabling on the Bios? As for the printer port settings it is USB001
Virtual printer port for USB.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
Did you check the BIOS to be sure the ports are enabled?
Did you check the printers properties for port settings?

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Lenny wrote:
Hi,
I have done all that and given everybody full permisions to access the
printer and change the printer settings. The firewall aslo has the
tick
in
the "file and print sharing" tab but still I am having no joy getting
it
print.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
In Printers and Faxes:
Right click the printer and select Sharing.
Select "Share this printer".
Type in a name for the printer.
Click Apply.
Click the Security tab. (if present)
Select the user you want to set permissions for.
Select to allow or deny permissions.
Click Apply.
To further set permissions click the Advanced button. (if present)
Select the user you want to set permissions for.
Set permissions for the user/s of printer.
Click Ok when done.
You can go one step further via Effective Permissions tab.
Ok out when done.

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel
Double click the Windows firewall applet.
Click the Exceptions tab.
Put a check in "File and print sharing".
Click Ok.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Lenny wrote:
Hi,
I have this problem that I haven't come accross before and it has
got
me
kind on stumped so any advise is greatly recieved.
I have been running 2 computer both wired to a belkin router/modem
for
internet and network sharing. One is a XP Home and one a Windows
98se.
have a Epson D68 printer connected to the XP (Antivirus only
(Macafee)
and
Windows firewall enabled) and this is shared for all users. My
windows
98
has been sharing this printer and a few files for a long time with
no
problems but it is time to upgrade. So I have bought a cheap XP
machine
from
Dell and set it up, deleted the existing Mcafee system works and
added
AVG.
I have both computers on the same workgroup and have also run the XP
wizard
for sharing files and the new machine can 'see' all the shared files
on
the
other XP machine and also see the printer. I have added the shared
printer
to the new machine's printers and faxes but from the new machine it
will
not print. The print goes into the job cue and sits there never to
be
printed. I have uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it on both
machines,
still no luck. If I install the printer with a USB cable onto the
new
machine and then share that one with the older XP it still will not
print
via the shared machine. It will only print from the machine that it
is
attached to. I have tried disabling all the firewalls, no change. I
have
another printer upstairs on another machine and both of these
problem
XP's
can see, share and print to it so why can't they share this one
printer
between themselves? The 3rd machine upstairs can also see the Epson
on
either machine but again it will not print. ( I have tried to print
test
sheets and a word documents.).
Please help.
Lenny

  • Re: shared printer will not work?
    ... Printer Properties> sharing> share this printer. ... Let windows do its thing it may take a while. ... As for the printer port settings it is USB001 ... To further set permissions click the Advanced button. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: shared printer will not work?
    ... As for the printer port settings it is USB001 Virtual ... Right click the printer and select Sharing. ... To further set permissions click the Advanced button. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: shared printer will not work?
    ... Did you check the printers properties for port settings? ... Right click the printer and select Sharing. ... To further set permissions click the Advanced button. ... Windows firewall enabled) and this is shared for all users. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: shared printer will not work?
    ... Both machines are windows XP Pro with no passwords set up. ... As for the printer port settings it is USB001 ... Right click the printer and select Sharing. ... To further set permissions click the Advanced button. ...